Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 11:50 AM   #1
jjflynn
AF Newbie

Question Wet floors

I have a 2002 Passat and noticed the passenger side back seat floor was soaked a number of times. I pulled the floor pan plug and a ton of water came out. I have heard of the A/C related problem but it was cold when I discovered the water so I wouldn't have been running the A/C. I am looking for other ideas on the problem before I take it to the dealer. I do have a sun roof, thought that might be the origin.
jjflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
frustratedwvw
AF Newbie

I have a 2001 Passat and have also had the same problem for the past 5 weeks - excessive amounts of water on the rear back floors.

After bringing it in four times, they have diagnosed it with two problems:

-sun roof leak (the drainage tube was somehow misplaced) and
-faulty pollen filter (the sealant had worn away).

I would definitely take it to the dealer as soon as possible, the water leak has started to affect the wiring of my car and I'm told I have to have the comfort control module replaced (which is going to cost $600), there is also a transmission control module in the same area which could be affected by the leak.

What is the A/C problem - I haven't heard of that --I've run my A/C to clear the windows so I'm wondering if there could be any linkage.

please keep me posted on resolution of your issue.
frustratedwvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:16 PM   #3
jjflynn
AF Newbie

Re: Wet floors

Thanks frustratedwvw for your response. I read somewhere that condensation from to A/C system is drained from the car near the firewall (inside engine compartment or passenger compartment I can't remember, I think engine) and what I have read is that if that drain becomes plugged the water finds its way into your car. This may have something to do with the pollen fliter. The dealer I bought the car from is huge and has a wonderful service department but you never if your going to get a parts changer or a thinker working on your car. I like to go in well informed to reduce down time on my car. I will post the solution to my wet floor problem hopefully it will save someone else a headache.
Jack
Old 12-29-2003, 10:41 PM   #4
Fauvay
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Fauvay
Try posting this question on ClubB5. You'll get a detailed answer to the problem.
Fauvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:09 AM   #5
frustratedwvw
AF Newbie

I posted it on clubb5 under the title of Water Leak.

thank you Fauvay.
frustratedwvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:21 PM   #6
jjflynn
AF Newbie

Thanks frustratedwvw. My car goes in Monday for repair. As I mentioned I will post my findings. The service manager told me he felt it was either going to be the sun roof or the pollen filter and that this problem is not unheard of. He did tell me to give him all the keys to my car because if he needs to replace the comfort control module all the keys will need to be reprogramed.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:27 PM   #7
plummer74
AF Newbie

I had the same problem of wet floors from the air conditioning. It is caused from a a vaccum hose that is broke or loose. It is located on the 1.8t on the top front of the aluminum manifold.It is in the very front of the car and points up ands to the passenger side. The hose runs down to your left. It is a small hose.
plummer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:04 PM   #8
cagnew
AF Newbie

Well, what happened? Did you get the problem sorted?
I have exactly the same problem, but I haven't got air conditioning, and the pollen filters were changed and the problem persisted.. Another thread is talking about roughly the same thing, and they think it might be the battery tray.

Let me know

Thanks
Colin
cagnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:39 PM   #9
Passatowner
AF Newbie

I have just paid $1630 to replace Comfort Control Module and to clean out my car after it filled with loads of water during my two-week vacation absence. The problem was plugged sun roof drainage holes owing to pollen.

I am quite steamed. If this is not an unknown problem, why isn't it part of scheduled maintenance to check and replace these things?

Why isn't VW held accountable? I have had plenty of cars with sun roofs and I have NEVER heard of this. Am I simply an ignoramus or is something wrong here?

Many thanks for reply!
Passatowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 03:01 PM   #10
Mike329
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Wet floors

I have a 1999 Passat, six cylinder with moon roof. It has 57,000 miles on it and looks sharp or did look sharp.

After a moderate rain I found some water in the left rear floor. I thought that it might have resulted from someone leaving a window down or the moon roof open, but I didn't think so. I shop vacuumed the car out to remove the water. To my surprise, the next day there was more water on the floor. The remote control failed to work. I tried to dry the car out over the next couple of days. The electric windows failed to move and then the car would not start.

I had the car towed to the VW/Audi dealer and was called the next day to advise me to call my insurance company. I went down to the dealer and was told that I had suffered major damage to my car because the pollen filters had not been serviced for 30,000 miles.

The service department is doing a "teardown" to see what needs to be replaced and to see if the car will be "totalled" by the insurance company. The service people say that all the electronic controllers need to be replaced as well as the main wiring harness. Cost will be in excess of $5000.00.

In the last few days I have asked six Passat owners if they have ever heard of pollen filters in their cars. None has.

If the car is repaired, I will trade it immediately. Electrical problems in a car take on a life of their own and change as the weather changes.

The Passat was the most fun car I have ever driven, but I will never buy another Volkswagen product.

Mike
Mike329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:17 PM   #11
party dude
AF Newbie

me too

i have had the same problem with wet passager floor and it was a mix of things first the a/c was draining inside the car when i left in the summer and for some time the battery filled up and leaked in to the pollen filter .i,m sure the battery tray has a cover just leaving acess to the brake fuild and battery ???? .a word of warning don,t take your vw to a stealaship mine tryed to sting me for over 400 pounds to change the c links on mine and a local garage told me that they are fine. BE CAREFUL. i was advised to run the a/c for half an hour ever month by a a/c engineer.
party dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:25 PM   #12
Mike329
AF Newbie

Re: me too

Haven't run the a/c for some time! Don't really know whether it's the moon roof or drains under the hood, but it sure ruined a fine car. I will let the forum know what the insurance company decides.
Mike329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:20 PM   #13
passat 02
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjflynn
I have a 2002 Passat and noticed the passenger side back seat floor was soaked a number of times. I pulled the floor pan plug and a ton of water came out. I have heard of the A/C related problem but it was cold when I discovered the water so I wouldn't have been running the A/C. I am looking for other ideas on the problem before I take it to the dealer. I do have a sun roof, thought that might be the origin.
hi! you're water problem may be caused by the polin filter casing, try removing the polin filter and remove the casing and check that the seal is not broken.
passat 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:34 PM   #14
passatGLwgn
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Wet floors

Pull out the windshield undertray.It blocks access to your windshield mechanics. Once out, careful...its made to fit just right.So Dont tweak it.Now look for dead foilage in there.I bet thats blocking your drainholes! I found right away that was my problem.I now DO NOT park under my maple tree out front, especially at fall time.
passatGLwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 AM   #15
ScarIet
AF Newbie

To Passat 02 or anyone who knows

Hi, I read your post and it says you pulled the drain plug, this is what I need to do to let water out but can't find it. Please could you advise how I locate it? Many thanks
ScarIet is offline   Reply With Quote