Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
dericks
AF Newbie

93 camry high idle

I have a 93 camry, 5sfe that has suddenly decided to idle at 2500 rpm. Removed throttle body and cleaned it, then replaced Iac. Iac was gummed up and I actually broke it when trying to free it up. So, replaced it. Still have the problem. Runs great, Just too high. Any suggestions where to go from here.
dericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
somick
AF Enthusiast

Re: 93 camry high idle

Try to seafoam it. May help.

When I seafoamed my Accord, it pushed all the gunk into the throttle body, which I had to clean afterwords.

Good luck,

Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
dericks
AF Newbie

Do I just run it through the gas?
dericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
Mike Gerber
AF -Advisor

Check for a vacuum leak. The large intake tube leading to the throttle body can also crack and cause a high idle, so inspect that carefully.

Mike
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
somick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dericks
Do I just run it through the gas?
Instructions are on the can. On a warm engine let the vacuum suck it little by little. Let it sit for some time - may be 10-15 minutes. Drive it with different speeds. Be prepared for a cloud of smoke when you first start it.

And do what Mike suggested: check for vacuum leak.

Good luck,

Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Test your coolant temperature sensor.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:50 AM   #7
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R.
Test your coolant temperature sensor.
Ditto. I read a thread not too long ago about the identicle problem. The poor guy must have cleaned and lubed his throttle cable and throttle body 10 times, amongst many other things. Turned out to be the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor. We all learned something from that thread.

Found it: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=909535 We start talking about the ECT at post #35 (of 52 posts) towards the bottom of the first page. It's all good reading. Check to see if you're getting a fault code 22.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP
Ditto. I read a thread not too long ago about the identicle problem. The poor guy must have cleaned and lubed his throttle cable and throttle body 10 times, amongst many other things. Turned out to be the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor. We all learned something from that thread.

Found it: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=909535 We start talking about the ECT at post #35 (of 52 posts) towards the bottom of the first page. It's all good reading. Check to see if you're getting a fault code 22.
Gosh, I wish I had been involved in that thread you cited. I gave up on it once all you guys got involved. I must have gotten busy elsewhere. You have to give LyricLover credit for bringing up the possibility of it being the ECT sensor.

Anyway, notice that the although the continuing problem in that thread was the sensor, it tested ok (although it is not easy to test and the owner may have taken a short-cut of some sort). Another possibility was that the original sensor was good, but disconnecting and reconnecting the new one improved the contact between the sensor and the wiring harness, which was possibly the problem in the first place.

For testing the sensor, refer to page EG1-219 of the '94 Camry manual linked to in the sticky post at the top of this forum. Note that you don't have to remove the sensor to test it. Heat up your engine to operating temperature and shut it off. Remove the contacts from the sensor. Put a standard thermometer or some temperature measuring device against the block near the sensor (wet with oil for better heat transfer). Keep it there until the temperature reading stabilizes. Measure the resistance of the sensor and compare this measurement with the expected reading from the graph. For example if the temperature of the engine is shown to be 140F, then the resistance of the sensor should be about 0.6 kohms. You should probably do this at two different temperatures by measuring it as hot as possible (better for actual use testing) and letting the engine cool down for 15-30 min and retesting at the new temperature.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
RIP
AF -Advisor

The ECT sensor can be had for as little as $20 at Rockauto.com.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
jdmccright
The RustBuster

You can buy a handheld infrared surface thermometer for $20 at AutoZone (OEM brand). VERY handy when diagnosing cooling problems while keeping hands at safe distances.

I remember that thread...We're all a little wiser after that one.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista