Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Funnyman141
AF Newbie

Question Would This work?

somebody said that if you have a hose leading from a high preasure area like the cowl and feed it into the airfilter it'll act like a turbocharger the faster you go the more boost you get is this true or false or have I finally found the cheap persons turbo? just wondering. oh and I'm new here so hello everybody!!
Funnyman141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Re: Would This work?

its called "ram air"

starts doing something useful around 120mph, but not much

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Its a trick that has been used for many years, but it doesn't provide boost like a supercharger. Someone did the math once and came up with something like .14 psi at 80 mph. That's good for about 0.1% more power

It should be viewed for what it really is; plenty of fresh cool air, which has its benefits, but the idea of ram air doesn't wash. The cowl, the top of the hood, and the grille are all places where "ram" air is sourced
Old 07-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

here's a fun little article involving motorcycle ram air, where they took pressure readings during a high speed run, and then attempted to reproduce the pressures on a dyno

Not very scientific, but gives a vague idea what results you would expect. Keep in mind, all the bikes they are testing have top speeds over 150mph, which most cars will never see

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9912_ram/index.html

Old 07-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Funnyman141
AF Newbie

well how about a small air compressor added into the mix use the ram air for normal but when you need a bigger boost use the air compressor to force air into the motor or has it been done before? and is it a cheap turbocharger? and yes I may use these ideas on my car it has a small aircompressor in the engine compartment but the cable is to short so it's not much use and thats why I'm asking
Funnyman141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

I saw a video of someone hooking a leafblower to their civic si once. It was on youtube.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnyman141
well how about a small air compressor added into the mix use the ram air for normal but when you need a bigger boost use the air compressor to force air into the motor or has it been done before? and is it a cheap turbocharger? and yes I may use these ideas on my car it has a small aircompressor in the engine compartment but the cable is to short so it's not much use and thats why I'm asking
it would have to flow more CFM at a given PSI than the engine takes in to do anything. This requires quite a powerful compressor. Unless you're just using stored compressed air, which would be a very short burst

They do make electric superchargers, but they are extremely high amperage and can only be used for short bursts, even with multiple batteries in the car. Talking hundreds of amps

IMO, it is all very interesting, but when you are ready to get serious, pony up and get a turbo and stop messing around with these silly ideas

Old 07-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #8
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnyman141
well how about a small air compressor added into the mix use the ram air for normal but when you need a bigger boost use the air compressor to force air into the motor or has it been done before?
Its been done thousands of times before... its called a turbo

You can theoretically design an on-demand supercharger with EFI, but its pointless. A turbo is driven off exhaust gasses, so it only really provides boost when your foot is heavy. Its seamless and easy to do, but not cheap.

When considering adding forced induction, the only real way of doing it is by using a pulley (supercharger) or exhaust (turbo). Don't fall for any hype about electric turbos or compressors. Even my 40-gallon, 240 volt two stage air compressor in the shop only provides about 1/100th the volume an engine ingests. It takes about 4 minutes for it to develop 10 psi in the tank, so in an engine that ingests somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 gallons of air every minute, you can see that it won't cut it in any way shape or form.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical