Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Intrepid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
thunder231
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to thunder231
a/c fan problem 2001 intepid

Hi, I have a 2001 Intepid ES,... the air work ok at first, and while driving, however, if you get in very slow traffic, or stop for a few min, it will stop working, only puts out warm air, and when doing this, you can hear a hissing noise coming from vents, kinds like air excapting,... but as soon as you get moving again, this goes back to working ok... have replace the tranducter on line by condenser, and also the control valve at the firewall, but no change, I have noticed that the fan doesn't come on when you turn on air, it only comes on when engine gets hot enough and then turn off again, so I assume it is somethings to do with fan not coming on and cooling the condenser when air is on, since other intrepids I have checked have fans that comes on soon after you put the a/c on, but mine doesn't,... not sure what else to check or replace, ... so any help would be apprciated,... I live in Arizona, so was thinking of just fixing fan to stay on when key is on, but not sure easiest way to do it..... thanks

Last edited by thunder231; 05-11-2008 at 02:07 PM.
thunder231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: a/s cond/fan problem 2001 intepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder231
Hi, I have a 2001 Intepid ES,... the air work ok at first, and while driving, however, if you get in very slow traffic, or stop for a few min, it will stop working, only puts out warm air, and when doing this, you can hear a hissing noise coming from vents, kinds like air excapting,... but as soon as you get moving again, this goes back to working ok... have replace the tranducter on line by condenser, and also the control valve at the firewall, but no change, I have noticed that the fan doesn't come on when you turn on air, it only comes on when engine gets hot enough and then turn off again, so I assume it is somethings to do with fan not coming on and cooling the condenser when air is on, since other intrepids I have checked have fans that comes on soon after you put the a/c on, but mine doesn't,... not sure what else to check or replace, ... so any help would be apprciated,... I live in Arizona, so was thinking of just fixing fan to stay on when key is on, but not sure easiest way to do it..... thanks
Check your high pressure side of the Air Conditioner it may be to low. You need to check with a low/high side A/C gauge set. Do not use the Wal Mart one gauge/can fill aparatus (dangerous). I believe your system is low on freon and thus the high side does not turn on fans like it should. There are also two relays located between the fans on top.

There is a thread in this form of a Factory Service Manual for a 2002 which should be the same as the 2001. It will help you.

Hope this helps
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
thunder231
AF Newbie

I have had high/low presure checked twice now, and refilled with coolant, but it still didn't turn fans on, but I see my dual fan doesn't not have any relays on the fan unit,.... so I checked and found out that the ES with the 3.2 motor has fan with two relays mounted between the fans, but the SE 2.7 motor has same fans but no relays,.... Mine has a 3.2 motor, and no relays between the fans, but Pont Dealer says it doesn't matter. I am going to try to check out the wiring to the front transducter swich on the condenser and see if maybe it it bad, not sure what else to do...that why I was thinking of just wiring the fans to come on with ign/switch.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
thunder231
AF Newbie

Well guys, I got it fixed,.... I unwraped the wires back from the transducter at the condenser, and in harnness by battary I found that one of the 3 wires to the transducter was broken, not sure how, but fixed it, and now my fans come on just after you put the a/c on, and now a/c also work even when car is stoped,... so guess that was the problem.... thanks for the help, and hope this may help someone else...
Old 05-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder231
Well guys, I got it fixed,.... I unwraped the wires back from the transducter at the condenser, and in harnness by battary I found that one of the 3 wires to the transducter was broken, not sure how, but fixed it, and now my fans come on just after you put the a/c on, and now a/c also work even when car is stoped,... so guess that was the problem.... thanks for the help, and hope this may help someone else...
Great job, glad you got it working.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Intrepid