Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
gflum
AF Newbie

69-start up procedure after long nap

69 Mustang-- been sittin for about 5 years. Any advise on do's and don'ts before attempting to start?
gflum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

Re: 69-start up procedure after long nap

a 69 good for you!! if battery was taken out while in storage ok if not i'd clean & tighten connections,maybe crank over with coil wire off(gets the oil movin)& while doing maybe take fuel line off & get rid off the 1st gas that comes out good luck
inafogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
G.A.S.
AF Regular

5 years sitting, hum, . oil and filter change would be a good starter, check the coolant, add if needed. Drain fuel, install new fuel and filter, an added in line filter would be a good choice.
Disconnect coil wire. clean or replace points and condencer, mabey a cap and rotor if $ is not an issue. Now you know you will have good spark.
After you have new fuel in the tank and new oil and filter in the engine, remove the fuel line from the carb, add a line or hose to existing line to pump fuel into a container so the lines have fresh fuel.
Make sure you have a fully charged battery and your connections are clean.
they are top post cables. tighten positive cable but for the neg. side, twist the cable onto the post while pushing down so that it has a tight fit, dont tighten nut.
some starters after sitting will enguage but not disenguage and will keep rolling the engine over. this is when you un-twist the neg. cable off the battery post, same motion, twist but pull upward.
this would stop the starter.
( address that issue if it happens, just being prepaired.)
now roll over the engine in 3 second intervals. roll over and stop, wait for 10 secs. roll over and stop. and again.
do this about 8 times. there should be fuel coming out into your container by now and it should look clean. I like clear jugs.
reinstall the fuel line to the carb.
re attatch coil wire.
dont pump the peddel yet, roll over the engine just like before but only 2 times. this fills the float boal with gas. Now pump the peddel about 10 times, roll it over, should start and stall, dont pump the gas while doing this, keep the rpms down.
If it starts and stalls like 4-5 times, then use your peddel as you want to keep it running.
thats about all i can think of at this moment.
Hope someone else chimes in and hits on what I may have missed.
G.A.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA

G.A.S.

Good post man!

Make sure its not locked up Then you can proceed with what GAS posted.

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
SkylineUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

yea i was thinking of things to make sure engine was ok before puting the extra time & money into...but if you no engine is to be in good condition then go ahead with the extra good luck & let us know!!
inafogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
gflum
AF Newbie

Thanks for all the advice. -- We know the engines turns freely as we pulled plugs and turned by hand last week, just looking for ALL the " oh I wish I would of known that " advice I can get. If and when it starts, is there any concern regarding the transmission fluid since its been sitting so long. Someone told me it's possible that it can gel after a long period of time. Hope to crank it this weekend.
gflum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
G.A.S.
AF Regular

trans fluid will never gel or freeze. Unless contaminated by something it should be fine. What does it look like when you wipe it on a white rag and does it smell burnt? make sure it is at the full line or close to it for start-up and re-check it when the vehical is hot. On a level surface of course.
You have thought this out very well proir to your start-up. thats great.
there are to many ppl. today that would get an older car and not know what they have and just try and fire it up and if it didnt work there would be an excuse of some kind that it was broke before they tried it.
Now if you do have the time and are wanting to prevent future problems do this.
Drop the tranz pan and get the metal shavings off the bottom of the pan. This would be an ideal time as it sat for such a time as to allow all the shavings to settel.
Install a new filter.
Now if you wana get good at this, think ahead and install a magnetic drain plug in the pan allowing you furture preventitive maintance. It is allways so nice to change a filter in a tranz with the oil drained or if you need to work on it or even just remove it from the car.
Keep us posted
G.A.S. is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance