Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cobalt
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
PirateChris
AF Newbie

In the market for a Cobalt, some questions though

Im new to the whole sports car market and everything associated, now that we've established that lets continue . Basically I have about 15,000 in savings right now but im not sure what I want to do. After my friend taught me how to drive stick, I see no other alternatives the amount of control and performance you gain over an automatic car is staggering. And ever since he took me out on his upgraded talon and let me drive that around ive been addicted to fast cars. And im certain that the cobalt is the car for me im just not sure which build. Basically im not sure which builds allow for specefic improvement. Ideally I would want to buy a SS, but I dont think that will be the case, I know the cobalt is only a 4 cylinder car but its light weight makes up for that I hope even though I havnt actually driven one yet. Can you upgrade the LS/LT's to SS stage 1's, and then progress to 2 from there or how does it work?

Thanks
PirateChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
PlayStation3
AF Enthusiast

Re: In the market for a Cobalt, some questions though

there are 2 ss models the one with 170 hp and the other 205 hp what i would do is buy the cheapest one i could buy and build a second motor on the side if you where going to upgrading it to turbo cause the ecotec does need upgrading it to get it to go faster.
PlayStation3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
PirateChris
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayStation3
there are 2 ss models the one with 170 hp and the other 205 hp what i would do is buy the cheapest one i could buy and build a second motor on the side if you where going to upgrading it to turbo cause the ecotec does need upgrading it to get it to go faster.
Well thats kind of the thing since It would be my "intro level sports car" or whatever, I might just want to stick with the LS or LT. But like I said im no car guru or anything. Is 145 HP, and 155 torque on a 4 cylinder small car like the cobalt somewhat fast?

If its not fast at all it would take me to my next questions, being can you take the LS/LT's to SS1 or SS2 level, or will that not work at all. Im not sure I want to drop 22k on a SS and just start there.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
-Jayson-
AF Enthusiast

if you want a fast cobalt, just drop the 22k on the SS supercharged. You honestly dont sound like you have the skills or knowledge to build a car up. Its not as easy as just slapping on a few parts, and its not cheap either. IF you want a sporty cobalt dont settle for anything less than the SS supercharged. Otherwise you will be laughed at if you think its fast. You can make an LT into an SS, with a shit load of money and time, more money and time than it would cost to just buy one.

The Cobalt SS Supercharged is a complete package, its not just an engine, its the suspension, styling, performance, everything balled into one.

To put it simply, buy the SS S/C if you want a fast car. You can buy an LT for 17,000 and drop 5,000 dollars to make it as fast as a SS S/C, or you can buy an ss s/c spend 2,000 bucks and make it tons faster than your modded LT.

If i were you, id go and test drive them all before you made a decision

SouthEast Ecotec Enthusiast
-Jayson- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
PirateChris
AF Newbie

Well ive been looking around but all the SS cobalts ive seen at the dealerships ive been to are automatics, and getting an SS even NOT supercharged is stupid.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
Azrael4h
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Azrael4h Send a message via AIM to Azrael4h Send a message via MSN to Azrael4h Send a message via Yahoo to Azrael4h

IMO, the stock 144hp ecotech is quick for an econobox. And you could probably drop cash for one, and have a little left over right now. Mine is great, I've outran more than a few ricers in their toyondas. It's not my Dart 340, but it's quick. I also average 33mpg except this Christmas. Idling for hours on end kills your mpg numbers. 340/4bbl may get 16mpg on a good day.

But, if you want preformance, go SS S/C. It's on par with the Neon SRT4; despite being slightly heavier and with (supposedly) less power. The difference is so small, it can easily be made up by driving skill. I say supposedly, because it's not unheard of for a manufacturer to underrate their engines. I have never seen a supercharged SS that had a slushbox; though the "regular" SS (should have been called just a Sport or something, IMO) I've seen as 4 door slushbox sedans. They also post the same EPA ratings as the base, though real world may be slightly lower.

I bought a base coupe because that's all I need in a daily, though I got a slushbox because they had no sticks, and the dealer didn't even know they offered a stick shift in the Cobalt. Good luck finding one.
Azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #7
kjames
AF Newbie

All SS supercharge are manual they dont come as automatic.. ive seen dealerships say its automatic and when they show pictures of the cars interior and u can clearly see that its a stick wtf?????
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cobalt