Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
Skeeter6755
AF Newbie

No power to my blazer :(

1994 Blazer

Here is my story:
For the past few weeks, there have been times when my electronic door locks wouldn't work. If i tried for the next few hours, I may be able to get them to work. This has happened twice within the last few weeks.

Now, when I went out to my blazer this morning, it wouldn't start. I heard a "click", and then nothing. No headlights, no interior lights, nothing.
I replaced the battery 2 weeks ago. Also, I had a friend try to jump it, but that didn't work either.

At one point, I left the key in the ACC position while we were jumping the car, and I heard some electrical noise that sounds like a low pitch going up to a high pitch. (Sounds like it's coming from the dash).

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Scott
Skeeter6755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Skeeter6755
AF Newbie

Re: No power to my blazer :(

Some additional info:
The day the blazer died, the winshield wipers were acting funny. When I would want it to wipe once, it would wipe three times and stop wherever it wanted.

From my readings, I should check the elctrical connectors under my drivers seat... ?
Old 01-15-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
DelCoch
AF Regular

First, I would pull the battery, check the cables to see if they need cleaned and take the battery to AutoZone or someplace and have it checked with a load type tester. The cheap jumper cables often won't start a car with a dead battery, especially if hooked to dirty battery cables. Even a 2-week old battery could be dead if you have an electrical problem or an alternator problem.

Once you know you have a fully charged battery you can do other trouble shooting.
DelCoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
534BC
AF Enthusiast

Could it be body ground? engine ground?
534BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Skeeter6755
AF Newbie

Well, it turns out that my battery was dead. Not sure if it is because of a bad alternator or not, but I guess my next step would be to go get that tested.
I'll let you know how it goes....

-Skeeter
Old 01-17-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Skeeter6755
AF Newbie

So I put a new battery in there, but I am still having the same problem. Hopefully after all the snow melts (Im in Colorado), I'll be able to get under there and take a look at the ground point, starter, etc...
Old 01-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
DelCoch
AF Regular

Do your headlights, interior lights and instrument panel service lights work now ?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
ericn1300
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter6755
Well, it turns out that my battery was dead. Not sure if it is because of a bad alternator or not, but I guess my next step would be to go get that tested.
I'll let you know how it goes....

-Skeeter
sounded like a bad battery to me, never buy a battery form a store that doesn't professionaly install it and test the charging system. If the store installs it and your charging system is bad, or you have a shorted starter and fries it, not your problem. they have to give you a new one. if you go down and buy one and take it home and put it in, you're on your own.

if you can't get the vehicle to the shop buy the battery and drive directely to the shop for testing to validate the warranty.
ericn1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #9
Skeeter6755
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericn1300
sounded like a bad battery to me, never buy a battery form a store that doesn't professionaly install it and test the charging system. If the store installs it and your charging system is bad, or you have a shorted starter and fries it, not your problem. they have to give you a new one. if you go down and buy one and take it home and put it in, you're on your own.

if you can't get the vehicle to the shop buy the battery and drive directely to the shop for testing to validate the warranty.

Thats exactly what it was. Something shorted the starter, possibly the bad battery I bought a few weeks ago. I have since taken it to the shop, and am currently fighting them to replace the starter.

I appreciate all the help I've been given. Keep up the good work!!
Old 01-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
DelCoch
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter6755
Thats exactly what it was. Something shorted the starter, possibly the bad battery I bought a few weeks ago. I have since taken it to the shop, and am currently fighting them to replace the starter.
Ahhh, a bad battery won't short out the starter, but it will work the other way around - a bad starter will short out the battery.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis