Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
frehol
AF Regular

Angry Heater core leaking, again...

Blazer -95 V6 vin W 4WD OBDII
OK, itīs dripping coolant from the heater core again. I did replace the core about two month ago, but it did not work very long... And the SES light is on again but I have not read the code yet īcause I donīt have scanner (and the shop carge about $100 (700SEK) for reading them! ) but last time the heater core broke I also got a code for O2 sensor, donīt know if it is related...

My question is if there can be a relation between the broken core and the O2 error code? An internal leak might let coolant go into the exhaust and contaminate the O2 sensor, but can it cause a leak in the heater core too?

I have not (after it started leakin again) checked if there is voltage in the coolant (electrolyzis?), but when I checked it some 2-3 weeks ago it was not...

I have flushed out the Dexcool and run it on ordinary blue glykol, can it be a problem?

Any other input?

//F
frehol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
ericn1300
AF Premium User

Re: Heater core leaking, again...

the solder joints on the inlet and outlet tubes are pretty weak and can easily be broken by forcing the heater core into place or can weaken and break by not reinstalling the strap that secures the core in place.

and sometimes new parts fail, i'll never buy a cheap heater core again. pay a little extra for a good one, the difference is only a few bucks for a reliable brand or a few hours doing it over again.
ericn1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Who makes a good heater core?
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
frehol
AF Regular

I called the shop and asked for their opinion of my problem, and they said it could be a leak in a cyliner head gasket, and that could lead to to high pressure in the system. And that could blow the core... To check that I can do a "block test" he said. That is a test to check for CO (Carbon monOxide) in the coolant, there should be none but may be if a cyliner head gasket is leaking exhaust gases into the coolant...
(anyone heard of it??)
Coolant in the exhaust would also effect the O2 sensor...

Also talked to the store were I got the replacement core that now leak and they will give me a new one But I have to remove it first and bring it to them

Iīll try to get the block test asap, will be back wiht the result when I have it!

/Freddy
Old 01-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
ericn1300
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
I like Modine, never had a problem with them
Old 01-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frehol
I called the shop and asked for their opinion of my problem, and they said it could be a leak in a cyliner head gasket, and that could lead to to high pressure in the system. And that could blow the core... To check that I can do a "block test" he said. That is a test to check for CO (Carbon monOxide) in the coolant, there should be none but may be if a cyliner head gasket is leaking exhaust gases into the coolant...
(anyone heard of it??)
Coolant in the exhaust would also effect the O2 sensor...

Also talked to the store were I got the replacement core that now leak and they will give me a new one But I have to remove it first and bring it to them

Iīll try to get the block test asap, will be back wiht the result when I have it!

/Freddy
They are telling you correct. It's a long shot, especially with no other problems that you've noticed, but possible. The coolant is tested with a gas analyzer to check for CO in the coolant. That is the easiest, cheapest and most reliable way to check for a leaking head gasket.
old_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
ericn1300
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_master
They are telling you correct. It's a long shot, especially with no other problems that you've noticed, but possible. The coolant is tested with a gas analyzer to check for CO in the coolant. That is the easiest, cheapest and most reliable way to check for a leaking head gasket.
wouldn't the radiator cap with a 15lb rating relieve the pressure before the heater core failed?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

It should, if it's working correctly. That's one of the reasons I mentioned it would be a long shot. Engine miss, steam from exhaust, etc etc.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #9
frehol
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
All I can say is that the core that I put in last and now leaks is from a company called "Proliance International, Inc" in New Haven, CT.

I do not yet know if it was a bad core or if something else broke it.

Will do the block test tomorrow...

/Freddy
Old 01-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Proliance is the result of a merger between Transpro and Modine. Here's their web site: http://www.pliii.com/about_overview.htm

As Eric mentioned, he likes Modine. Modine has always been a "quality manufacturer". It's possible that quality suffered as a result of the merger, that seems to happen quite often after a merger.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #11
ericn1300
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_master
Proliance is the result of a merger between Transpro and Modine. Here's their web site: http://www.pliii.com/about_overview.htm

As Eric mentioned, he likes Modine. Modine has always been a "quality manufacturer". It's possible that quality suffered as a result of the merger, that seems to happen quite often after a merger.
Thanks for the heads up Old Master, after reading the press release it seems Modine Aftermarket was spun off from Modine Manufacturing long before the merger. I guess I'll just have to give up on brand loyalty and ask for "Made in America" if there is any.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis