Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
malletslinger
AF Enthusiast

Question ODD sound in my 95 Cutlass Supreme

My story so far...
Some of you may have read a posting I make several months ago about the value of this oldsmobile...I have been working on this car off and on since I made that post and I have been using this car as my daily driver for the past couple months(not daily in the usual sence...but lets just say that this is the only car Ive been driving).
This has been my first body work experience and I wanted to post before and after pics, especially since my bodywork came out flawless(does still need some paint, and I am kinda full of my self ), unfortunately...I had nearly all of my before pics saved on my old hard drive and it died...
The last thing I intend to do before selling it is paint the hood and driver fender black...but before I do that, I need to fix this problem...

The problem...
Since I have been driving this car, the front-left wheel bearing has been becoming increasingly loud(I half expected to have to replace it since this wheel was this genneral area was the point of impact) I replaced all the front bearings on my camaro for less $50, so I was shocked to find out the best price I could find on this bearing was $80 for just the drivers side, but it needs to be done...but you can't hear the bad bearing most of the time since if is overshadowed by the real reason for this post...

This is a tuff sound for me to describe, so stick with me...It sounds like a growl/moan/grinding sound that only happens when the gas is being pressed to either coinside with the current speed or minor/average acceleration...but it I put my foot into it more, like for fast acceleration for merging onto the freeway, the sound doesnt happen...atleast until I decrease my acceleration. If only I could accelerate all the time

So I have already established that I do need to replace that wheel bearing, but I know that isnt causing this problem. I went for a four wheel alignment check and had them realign the front wheels(I knew I needed it but also wanted them to check the rears, which were good).
I am afraid that the problem is related to the tranny because to me, the noise sounds like an immense internal vibration, but at the same time I highly doubt the tranny is the issue because it functions perfectly
I have also feared that the problem may be engine related, but at the same time, this too seems unlikely...

The only other thing I can think of(which seems the most likely) are the CV joints and or half axle.

This may seem like an open and shut case to some of you, but I am used to working on older cars. Or more specifically rear-wheel-drive cars. And as always, I appologize for the length of this post, but if you check through things I have posted in the past you will see that I am a man of many words and I find it hard to keep things short.
malletslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Re: ODD sound in my 95 Cutlass Supreme

This sounds like a CV joint to me, they will make noise under heavy acceleration and it may be the one on the side with the bad bearing. If you suspect the transmission, change the fluid and filter and add a can of sea foam trans additive. This should help the transmission internally but I would put my efforts into the axle shafts and bearings first.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
malletslinger
AF Enthusiast

This is what I thought aswell...
If I buy a new half shaft, will it come with the joints? What tools will I need for this?
Old 09-17-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Generally I wouldn't waste my money on a new one get a reman unit. About half the cost. It will come with new CV joints on both ends. You will need a torque wrench, axle nut socket some assorted hand tools and some jack stands. I would change the shaft seal in the transmission just to keep the fluid in since you may damage it getting the shaft out. Good Luck!
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
malletslinger
AF Enthusiast

thanks

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series