Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
2005gour
AF Newbie

1999 monte carlo z34 whinning noise

when i take off from being stopped,only when turning,i get a whinng noise.no noise if going straight.can't find power steering dipstick to check.please help
2005gour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 1999 monte carlo z34 whinning noise

Not sure either, check your owner's manual for location, didn't know they make a z34 Monte in 99.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
btjpf192
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1999 monte carlo z34 whinning noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge
Not sure either, check your owner's manual for location, didn't know they make a z34 Monte in 99.
Be carefull my 95 monte started the same thing 3 weeks ago. Turns out not to be power steering, but the tranny . Good luck finding a tranny for less than your first born child. I finally did, but what a pain! Good luck
btjpf192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:46 PM   #4
Rob_277
AF Newbie

A little insight. if it only makes the sound while turning it almost has to be the steering. problem is it's not always just the pump. it can also be airlock in the steering gear.

and on the 99z34 issue. i'm not 100% sure but i think the 97-99 z34's actually had the l67 in them which is a pushrod 3.8 litre supercharged found in the 6th gen SS's
Rob_277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
mike8116
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005gour
when i take off from being stopped,only when turning,i get a whinng noise.no noise if going straight.can't find power steering dipstick to check.please help
The power-steering canister is located on the left side (Passenger-side) of the engine, when facing the car, it is down low beneath the alternator and quite hidden. You have to feel for the cap & twist with your arm way down in there. Good luck! I have a '99 Z34 & have been checking it since I spent a day finding it years ago! Tough one! Wonder which GM engineer thought up that location for the PS canister??! haha!
mike8116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:37 PM   #6
SSImpala
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005gour
My brother had the same problem with his buick regal n with im assuming your monte is a 3800 is is the same engine, his turned out to be the power steering, it eventually led to his power steering failing,his power steering fluid was full, all he did was empty out the power steering fluid compelty and then refilled it up and it went away, good luck with it i hope its somthign as simple as this.
SSImpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:05 AM   #7
mike8116
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1999 monte carlo z34 whinning noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSImpala
My brother had the same problem with his buick regal n with im assuming your monte is a 3800 is is the same engine, his turned out to be the power steering, it eventually led to his power steering failing,his power steering fluid was full, all he did was empty out the power steering fluid compelty and then refilled it up and it went away, good luck with it i hope its somthign as simple as this.
161,000 Miles Later on a 3800 series II 1999 Monte CArlo Z34, I can tell you the steering will whine when you turn if it is low on fluid; hard to find & even harder to fill! The Trans will whine when the transmission filter is clogged; I recommend 30,000 mile trans maintenance. Do it. Otherwise regret it! Mine whined once when I let it go too long, knock on wood...it is still running strong on 161,000 miles. Yes, GM guys! My trans is STILL GOING! Finally, I recently heard a whining noise coming from the gas tank....loud whine & car stalled out. It is the fuel pump. Hey, after 161,000 miles with not much trouble....I'll gladly replace the fuel pump! The Monte still drives like new....no rattles, tight as a drum & smooth as can be....with power to the wheels...! I LOve this car!
mike8116 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo