Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
Zaku-II
AF Newbie

Lightbulb where should i start

i've always had a fascination for jeeps since i was a kid, must be from watching tons of war movies. i'm thinking about getting one, but i don't want one where i have to deal with a computer, tbi, efi, mpfi or any modern sensors. I would like to have an almost purely mechanical engine. i was hoping someone could point me in the right dircetion to get some good basic information on the specifications of jeeps and their history. i figured i would end up looking at mostly willy and cj's maybe a wrangler. thanks for any help that can be given.
Zaku-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: where should i start

To get a pre-FI Jeep, you'll have to go back to the late 80's and look at a CJ with the 4.2 Liter engine. All the 4.0's you'll find will be the computerized fuel injection.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
98_Classic
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 98_Classic
Re: Re: where should i start

I havent drivin a CJ yet but i have drivin Wranglers. (old and new) and personaly they are my favorite. Not much electronic upkeep compared to other cars from what i have experienced but i guess every car has its ups and downs.
98_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:56 PM   #4
98_Classic
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 98_Classic
Re: Re: Re: where should i start

also have a question for you fred. Those CJs, do they suck gass or are they pretty decent?
98_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #5
Ray H
AF Enthusiast

Go here and read FAQ sticky threads
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/index.php?

I used to feel the same way you do about EFI. I came of age before fuel injection was found in anything besides a diesel, so I was a hard sell. After watching too many CJs die and kill starters and batteries trying to get up hills and rocks, after having vehicles that wouldnt sit and run by themselves in the winter, I decided EFI was a good thing. Dont get me wrong, Im a huge CJ and willys fan but if I had one that I had to depend on, one of the first things I would do is fuel inject it. Oh, and feel lucky to get more than 12MPG out of a CJ.
Your best bet is to not even worry with a Wrangler. You would have to go back to 1990 to get one without EFI. Up until, and including some of 1989 they had the Peuguot manual tranny. That is something to avoid. Try to find a solid example of a CJ. Doesnt really matter what year but its going to be hard to find an older one in decent shape without paying out the butt.
Ray H is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > General Discussion