Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
Mglai1987
AF Newbie

about photoetched parts

this might be a stupid question but im very new at this.. i just bought some photoetched parts from sms for my enzo and its this copper color but the grills from the enzo is black so do i have to paint the PE parts myself? if so could i just paint over then or do i have to prime it or something...and im kinda worried that the lil holes would get covered up by the paint
Mglai1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: about photoetched parts

This is where the search feature is your friend

Yes you have to paint the photo etch grilles, get some primer to give the paint something to adhere to.
If possible, you're best to airbrush photo etch grilles so as to keep the amount of paint on them to a minimum, spray cans tend to lay it down heavily and spoil the effect of the fine photo etch grille.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:50 PM   #3
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mglai1987
this might be a stupid question but im very new at this.. i just bought some photoetched parts from sms for my enzo and its this copper color but the grills from the enzo is black so do i have to paint the PE parts myself? if so could i just paint over then or do i have to prime it or something...and im kinda worried that the lil holes would get covered up by the paint
Not a stupid question at all! I've sweated this on myself

What is more, you are lucky and live in the states (?) so you can get this:

from here at Micromark.

For priming PE parts before painting (unless you are using blacken-it or smthg smilar), I suggest you Mr Metal Primer or Tamiya PE primer (I've been told that you can also use thined out clear nail varnish)

HTH

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
Mglai1987
AF Newbie

ahh there goes another 16 bucks...man this hobby cost a lot. its burning a hole through my pockets...i still got like 15+ bottles of paint to buy haha...i just hope everyuthing turns out nice at the end.. thanx for the help
Old 09-26-2005, 11:29 PM   #5
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

The big expenditures only happen once. Once you have your army of tools and paints, you get to spend all your money on kits and tools, pretty much. Good luck, and remember that the one thing you need more than anything is patience, and luckily, that's free.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:38 PM   #6
Mglai1987
AF Newbie

most of the paint i have is 10ml the minis are those gona last for awhile?? i still have like 3 models i didnt build...enzo, Skyline GT-R V-Spec II, Xanavi Nismo GTR34-SpecialEdition still waiting for my 1/24 Xanavi to come so i can order my paints together...and i still hadnt finished my supra yet...when i start building my enzo imma take lots of pix and what not...
Old 09-26-2005, 11:58 PM   #7
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: about photoetched parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mglai1987
ahh there goes another 16 bucks...man this hobby cost a lot. its burning a hole through my pockets...i still got like 15+ bottles of paint to buy haha...i just hope everyuthing turns out nice at the end.. thanx for the help
You are LUCKY! I would give my left nut to be able to buy that !
Can't get it here and can't find any alternative.

In my next life I will be a modeler who lives 50% in Japan to get cheap kits and after market parts, 50% in US to access micromark etc and 50% in my spray booth

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
Old 09-27-2005, 12:19 AM   #8
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

150%! You're going to need to start eating more McDonalds.

I find that save for spray paints or paints that I use for car bodies, paint does last a long time, usually drying up and becoming worthless before I use it all. I especially find this to be true for CA.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:54 AM   #9
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: about photoetched parts

[quote=willimo]150%! You're going to need to start eating more McDonalds.QUOTE]

McDo was going to be the next 50% but I was too ashamed to admit it

Old 09-27-2005, 01:36 AM   #10
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

Get a job that requires trip to Japan. I worked for a software import company in Tokyo, and had at least two business trips to the US every year. It worked great for buying neat stuff from both countries. (Now that I work in Houston, I need business trip to Japan instead.)

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:09 AM   #11
Mglai1987
AF Newbie

i loved japan... i went over the summer great
Old 09-27-2005, 05:31 AM   #12
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Don't think you have to paint all P/E parts, as for primer can you not use automotive gray primer?

I've waiting for my first P/E set, and I plan to paint very little of it. I want to have a natural metal look and P/E parts will give this.

Will need to paint a mesh, just the same as you, and I plan on using automotive primer and black from my airbrush in light coats..

Unless I'm wrong on this, and you have to paint all P/E parts..
mickbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:09 PM   #13
Mglai1987
AF Newbie

yeah im just gonna paint the mesh but i think i might buy "blacken-it" since i dont have an airbrush =(
Old 09-27-2005, 01:29 PM   #14
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

you definately don't need to paint ALL p/e parts. To my mind, it depends what the part is replicating, whether your reference material shows it as (eg.) body colour and what end result the builder wants. The point of p/e parts is to be able to achieve a degree of fine detail that is not possible through moulding technology or mfctrs omit and, I guess, secondly to produce "metal" parts.

If you ARE going to paint/colour a p/e part, then the paint needs a good primer to lock into and since details on p/e parts are frequently very fine, I guess the thinner the coating the better.

Chemical blackening of mesh (if you can get the goods) will probably give the thinnest effect of all.

I've been told that etch primer is a good auto product too

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling