Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman
Turbo 350ci...in a mudd truck?

A friend has an old '83 Chevy silverado on an '87 frame. it has an '84 305 in it cranking out an amazing 260hp at the fly and 315 ft/lbs. the motor is about to go (along with the rear end, transmission, and the front diff. has been gone...bad hubs for a while...mudd kills hubs). He works at windixie but his dad is loaded. his dad said once the engine blows he will either buy him a new (used) truck or give him the money to build a new engine, tranny, differentials, etc.
He has decided to keep this truck as it already has the lift and all done to it. He has a 350 block with 4 bolt mains. he is looking at a stroker kit with forged pistons and rods and cast crank. it will turn it to a 383. maximum reccommended redline is 5500RPM. it will give him an 8.9:1 ratio. he wants FI but cyntrifical superchargers are hella expensive and roots blower sticking out of the hood just would makt it look too much like a monster truck. i reccomended turbo. he has to pay for his own gas and pushing 8psi of boost all the time into that engine is assnine if looking to even try to conserve gas. i told him that when he is low on cash he can fill 'er up with 87 and keep the boost real low; and when he has some extra cash in the pocket he can crank up the boost and fill 'er up with 93 (or go insane with the boost and throw some octane booster in there as well). he is now set on turbochargin it. he doesnt want to spend 1.5-2k on a turbo so he is looking at used and sending it off to be rebuilt (he has to pay for an FI he puts on it says his father). so here are my questions:
-Should he keep it a 350 which will allow for higher revs
-or should he find a lower compression piston or is 8.9:1 good for 15psi of boost (about what we are thinking of running)
-what sort of cams should we run. we want to make good power between 3k and maybe 1k below redline. i know lots of exaust duration and more than normal overlap is great for turbos but how much?
-should we run the carbs pre or post compresser
-what sort of power do you expect to make (im estimating around 300-350 with out boost and 400-500 with 15psi)
-he may end up sprayng it (i tried to talk him out of it) for mud bog races (i live in a redneck town, the dont drag they bog) incase he ever gets into a stickey situation. would a 100 shot be safe on the engine described (im not a nitros expert)
-is there anyway to keep mudd off of an intercooler (intake will be taken from a snorkle so no worries of getting water in the turbo)
-what size turbo would be best and what vehicle may we look for to steal this off of. (i was thinking a small diesel turbo. also, im too lazy to look at charts. we have connections at the local junk yard and we can get just about any housing and compressor and impeller so hybrids and combos are allowed, though that will make it harder, but high power takes hard work)

turbo gurus go at it

ps
sorry for all the spelling errors and bad grammar
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque
Re: Turbo 350ci...in a mudd truck?

does he intend to keep it carbureted? If so its hard as hell to tune a turbocharged carbureted engine.

I would just go all motor with the 383, it would fit his uses the best, its easy to get well over 400 hp on street gas with a streetable idle in a 383
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 10:11 PM   #3
psychorallyfreak
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to psychorallyfreak Send a message via AIM to psychorallyfreak Send a message via MSN to psychorallyfreak Send a message via Yahoo to psychorallyfreak

Exactly.
If he doesn't think he's making enough power NA, just go Super. A turbo build-up for this thing will cost just as much.
Plus, a supercharger doesn't have lag...and lag is BAD in mud.
psychorallyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:44 PM   #4
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

your not getting the point. and neither of you answeared the question. we are doing this for 2 reasons, better gas mileage and having done somthing something far from normal. and as i stated above, name any housing, compressor, impeller that will work togather. if you mach a turbo properly to an engine there is very little noticable lag... turbos are hands down more effiecnt and easyer to controll bost over other types of FI. to drop boost to save money on gas on a supercharger you have to change out pulleys. to drop boost on a turbo you just turn a knob. 400hp on a 383 on stret gas takes time and money. FI is byfar the easyest way to make power. turbo is the most efficent form of FI...put 2 and 2 togather and you get turbo. we know of the dificulties of tuneing a carburated turbo engine. now if you owuld like to answear my questions please do so.

ps
sorry for harshness but i hate it when i ask a question and someone gives me and answear to a question i didnt even ask or reccomends something that is so ordinary it is almost boring to even do it.
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:11 PM   #5
psychorallyfreak
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to psychorallyfreak Send a message via AIM to psychorallyfreak Send a message via MSN to psychorallyfreak Send a message via Yahoo to psychorallyfreak

Forced Induction takes just as much time and money as making streetable 400hp.
Answering your question, probably not, we're just giving our suggestions.
But if you're determined to do the Turbo thing, there are websites out there that'll match a turbo setup to your drivetrain combo. Unfortunately, I can't remember the URL's for any of them...
But, that's what Google is for...
I hope this is at least a little more helpful than my previous post.......
psychorallyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:14 PM   #6
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
meh, break out and buy a GM ZZ383/425, that engine makes me go wet, haha j/k but if your looking for 400 horsepower, it's got it, and then some

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
v10_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 04:13 PM   #7
MOPARmania
AF Newbie

You gotta find or make turbo headers. You should run a t3/t4 hybrid. Make the external wastegates larger than t3 spec. calls for. 2 core intercooler is all you need. Don't go 3 core. Make sure the carb has mechanical secondaries.
By the way, superchargers don't use more gas than a turbo unless you can't keep your foot out of it. You actually use less.
Make sure the lobe seperation is 112 or higher on the cam, and you COULD leave a higher lift on exaust than intake, I would.

MOPARmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 06:14 PM   #8
danny350
AF Regular

A 383 that was built to handle 15 Psi would probably be putting out closer to 800Hp

most sbc F/I kits only run 8 psi and will make 500Hp easily.

Build it N/A, 10:1 and you should get close to 500hp with a decent set of heads.

I know this doesn't answer your question but there's no point in having a 400-500 hp turbo sbc, especially in an offroad vehicle. The amount of extra money and stress it would cause would never be made up for in fuel savings.
danny350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:50 PM   #9
gmdt350
AF Newbie

been there

alright well personally i would go turbo i have done it and it works great. i run 12 sec in the 1/4 with basically a stock 350 bit of a cam and an edlebrock intake, holley carb. running twin trubos. 5-6 lbs of boost from each one. honestly i didn't notice a huge difference with fuel consumption and it was easy to tune. i used turbos off of older chevy 6.5L diesel engines. it is very cheap. turbo is not as hard on the bottom end which mean less money on crank, rods and things, and more money in the tank just means more hrs of fun. the 350 engine run me about 3000 all machined and bored out completely rebuilt and the trubos with all the other mods and parts ran me about 1200 so its very cheap. anyways thats what i have to say good luck man
gmdt350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:30 PM   #10
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

please do not resurrect dead threads from december
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction