Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 07:37 AM   #1
greenblazer72
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to greenblazer72
Has anyone done their own work on replacing parts to the stering linkage?

My front end needs work ,I have some play in my stering and when I got an estimate to get the work done they quoted around $500-$600.I would like to do the work myself to save some cash, is this hard to do or fairly reasonable and can you give some advise along with some pointers. THANKS
greenblazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
mrfixit64857
AF Regular

Re: Has anyone done their own work on replacing parts to the stering linkage?

most of it should be replaceable DIY with a good picklefork and rapport with your parts dealer. hard to tell if their price is out of line, tho, with the limited information at hand... how much of it were they going to replace? and this IS on your '97, right?
Old 08-20-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
greenblazer72
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Has anyone done their own work on replacing parts to the stering linkage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit64857
most of it should be replaceable DIY with a good picklefork and rapport with your parts dealer. hard to tell if their price is out of line, tho, with the limited information at hand... how much of it were they going to replace? and this IS on your '97, right?
correct, I think that it involved the tie rods idler arms all bushings and so on i don't recall them saying anything about ball joints though i do know that there is alot of play.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:34 PM   #4
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

you need to know what they are replacing.

This is a tough job to do.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
blazee
Problem?

I've replaced steering parts on many cars and it is a fairly simple procedure. I haven't had to replace anything other than the idler arm on my Blazer, because proper maintenance will keep everything functioning well for a very long time.

The cost was about $200 for parts on the last vehicle I did. That was for:
2 inner tie rod ends
2 outer tie rod ends
2 tie rod sleeves
1 idler arm

If you have to replace the pitman arm, too, it will make the job harder, but that is the only thing difficult about it. After replacing the parts, you will need to check the alignment. I do my own, but if you haven't done it before and don't have someone to walk you through it, it is better to just pay to have the alignment done.

The only special tool needed is a picklefork (tie rod end separator), they cost about $10.

You can pick up a haynes manual for less the $20 and it will give you pretty good instructions.

It is best to take off one complete side at a time (inner, outer tierod ends and the sleeve. DO NOT loosen the nuts on the sleeve or it could move and the measurement will change) and preassemble the new parts to the exact length of the old ones, this will keep your alignment very close.
blazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:57 PM   #6
blazee
Problem?

and make sure that you grease the new parts after installing them. You wouldn't believe how many times that I've seen people install new parts and not grease them.
blazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #7
mrfixit64857
AF Regular

And how many auto parts stores will LET those new parts go out the door without the required "zerts"(grease fittings)...
Amen and amen to my cohorts above... What some see as easy can be tough for others.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:54 AM   #8
greenblazer72
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Has anyone done their own work on replacing parts to the stering linkage?

[quote=blazee]I've replaced steering parts on many cars and it is a fairly simple procedure. I haven't had to replace anything other than the idler arm on my Blazer, because proper maintenance will keep everything functioning well for a very long time.

The cost was about $200 for parts on the last vehicle I did. That was for:
2 inner tie rod ends
2 outer tie rod ends
2 tie rod sleeves
1 idler arm

If you have to replace the pitman arm, too, it will make the job harder, but that is the only thing difficult about it. After replacing the parts, you will need to check the alignment. I do my own, but if you haven't done it before and don't have someone to walk you through it, it is better to just pay to have the alignment done.

The only special tool needed is a picklefork (tie rod end separator), they cost about $10.

You can pick up a haynes manual for less the $20 and it will give you pretty good instructions.

It is best to take off one complete side at a time (inner, outer tierod ends and the sleeve. DO NOT loosen the nuts on the sleeve or it could move and the measurement will change) and preassemble the new parts to the exact length of the old ones, this will keep your alignment very close.[/QU Thanks for the info it what useful , I went and got a manual and it described the details pretty good for procedures. I'm glad that I found this forum persons can learn alot from one another Thanks again to all (My main problem with things is I procrastinate on getting to things right away... it needed an alignment awhile ago but kept putting it off and now I'm fixing things on my blazer that probably wouldn't have been so bad if I got to it sooner... )

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer