Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
germanyt
AF Enthusiast

New idea for a screen. Any comments?

I was going over screen ideas with a buddy of mine and got to thinkin about the typical screen installation. Most people just throw a screen in every place they can put one just so they can say they have more screens than they can count on one hand. Im starting to realize that this will be not so original. My friend game me the idea of maybe putting a plasma in the ceiling. So I can lean the seats back all the way and have a huge screen flush mounted in the ceiling. I think the largest I could fit is a 32", maybe 36. My concern is how much head room I am going to loose. I'm 6'2" so I need all I can get. How thick does a plasma that large typically come and is it even feasable and practical to do this. Just trying to do something that I have not seen too much. Thanks for any input.
1 Optima yellow top (www.optimabatteries.com)
1 Optima red top
200 amp alt (www.dbelectrical.com)
eDead V1SE2 250 sq ft
Big 3 (1/0 awg)
Pioneer DEH-P650 (www.pioneerelectronics.com)
Infinity Reference 5 1/4 comps (www.infinitysystems.com
Infinity Kappa 6x9s
MTX Thunder 3404
Power Acoustik TFT/LCD
Pyle DVD/CD/MP3/WAV/WMA player
germanyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
L|_|da
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to L|_|da
Re: New idea for a screen. Any comments?

i cant really help you all that much, id try for a flat LCD.

what i can do is tell you thats a kick ass idea, and what kind of car is it?
L|_|da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
ghostrx7
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ghostrx7 Send a message via Yahoo to ghostrx7

go with the biggest lcd monitor, look on ebay, very cheap! put the 32 in ur house! u must be rich to be thinkin bout that. i would also be scared of the rattling the 32 would be submitted to. they seem to break easily at home so i could only imagine. if u do get it though, post pics!
atkins streetported 3mm seal engine, act clutch, lightweight flywheel, downpipe, straightpipe, greddy power extreme exhaust, hks ssqv blow off valve, short shifter, tein flex suspension, energy bushings, bonez intake, new brakes, rotors, toyo tires, mazdaspeed replica seats
ghostrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
Diceman83
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Diceman83

Rather than an LCD on the Ceiling, where it would not last very long (LCDs and Plasma screens don't like to be face down with all the stresses of being in a car), consider doing a Heads-Up display, where it bounces off the windsheild. I'm not sure how legal that is, but it would look pretty cool.

Another idea would be to mount a LCD projector in your dash and then drive up to a white surface and play a movie or whatever. I don't know of people doing that before.

What are your goals for wanting to do this? If it's just to do something different and cool, then don't just go sticking bigger stuff in wierder places... find something completely new to start off a new trend...
Old 04-09-2005, 08:59 AM   #5
ghostrx7
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ghostrx7 Send a message via Yahoo to ghostrx7

imagine pullin up to a garage and playing a 333 inch projector on the wall with ur stereo bumpin a movie!sick, but unpractical. those projectors are like 1000 on ebay. much cheaper than 3000 for a plasma.
atkins streetported 3mm seal engine, act clutch, lightweight flywheel, downpipe, straightpipe, greddy power extreme exhaust, hks ssqv blow off valve, short shifter, tein flex suspension, energy bushings, bonez intake, new brakes, rotors, toyo tires, mazdaspeed replica seats
ghostrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
notladstyle@yahoo.
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to notladstyle@yahoo. Send a message via Yahoo to notladstyle@yahoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanyt
I was going over screen ideas with a buddy of mine and got to thinkin about the typical screen installation. Most people just throw a screen in every place they can put one just so they can say they have more screens than they can count on one hand. Im starting to realize that this will be not so original. My friend game me the idea of maybe putting a plasma in the ceiling. So I can lean the seats back all the way and have a huge screen flush mounted in the ceiling. I think the largest I could fit is a 32", maybe 36. My concern is how much head room I am going to loose. I'm 6'2" so I need all I can get. How thick does a plasma that large typically come and is it even feasable and practical to do this. Just trying to do something that I have not seen too much. Thanks for any input.
the roof of the car is by far the hottest spot, lcd of plasma it would most definitely be ash within a month of summer. I have had good luck with stock conversion lcds - converting mounting locations like airvents and door panels rather than the typical headrestand flip out locations..

It seems my sig pic was too big for some ppl to see on their screens - srry about that
notladstyle@yahoo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
germanyt
AF Enthusiast

i drive a 99 grand prix. yeah i didn't think about the plasma being in the heat, would an lcd have the same problems? i have a tft/lcd right now and have not had any problems with it but this isnt the typical screen install.
1 Optima red top
eDead V1SE2 250 sq ft
Big 3 (1/0 awg)
Infinity Kappa 6x9s
MTX Thunder 3404
Power Acoustik TFT/LCD
Old 04-09-2005, 09:24 PM   #8
notladstyle@yahoo.
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to notladstyle@yahoo. Send a message via Yahoo to notladstyle@yahoo.
Re: Re: New idea for a screen. Any comments?

Quote:
i drive a 99 grand prix. yeah i didn't think about the plasma being in the heat, would an lcd have the same problems? i have a tft/lcd right now and have not had any problems with it but this isnt the typical screen install.
I have a single 6" in my dash thats never removed and its only slightly darker than it was when i bought it. but automotive screens are designed for much higher temperatures, in order to find a 32"+ screen you would probably have to use home equipment, my 24" wall mount manual says max operating temp is 140 degrees farenheight. I think you would probably end up with a really dim lcd after a couple of hot days. However, how about lining up like twenty 7" wide sreen displays flush mounted with the roof in a few rows? that would be pretty cool and would cost about the same as one decent big one

It seems my sig pic was too big for some ppl to see on their screens - srry about that
Old 04-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
germanyt
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: New idea for a screen. Any comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notladstyle@yahoo.
I have a single 6" in my dash thats never removed and its only slightly darker than it was when i bought it. but automotive screens are designed for much higher temperatures, in order to find a 32"+ screen you would probably have to use home equipment, my 24" wall mount manual says max operating temp is 140 degrees farenheight. I think you would probably end up with a really dim lcd after a couple of hot days. However, how about lining up like twenty 7" wide sreen displays flush mounted with the roof in a few rows? that would be pretty cool and would cost about the same as one decent big one

you may have something with the multiple screen idea. maybe four 15 inch screens in a square. that would be pretty awesome. do you know of a particular brand of screen that does not have a wide surround around the screen. so there is not a lot of separation between the screens?
1 Optima red top
eDead V1SE2 250 sq ft
Big 3 (1/0 awg)
Infinity Kappa 6x9s
MTX Thunder 3404
Power Acoustik TFT/LCD
Old 04-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #10
notladstyle@yahoo.
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: New idea for a screen. Any comments?

Quote:
you may have something with the multiple screen idea. maybe four 15 inch screens in a square. that would be pretty awesome. do you know of a particular brand of screen that does not have a wide surround around the screen. so there is not a lot of separation between the screens?
It doesnt matter, buy any brand. Remove the housing and flush mount them in fiberglass or plexiglass if you got the money or MDF if you don't.

I have used this technique with sony and panasonic, but im sure other LCDs use the same design method. Just make sure you insulate the backs of the circuit boards.

I have a link for a composite video mixer so you can display one big image on 4/8/16 screens its about 40$

Old 04-10-2005, 11:06 AM   #11
germanyt
AF Enthusiast

sounds good. send me the link so i can check it out. thanks
1 Optima red top
eDead V1SE2 250 sq ft
Big 3 (1/0 awg)
Infinity Kappa 6x9s
MTX Thunder 3404
Power Acoustik TFT/LCD

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio