Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
Whumbachumba
AF Enthusiast

AHHH! The colors!

I just got back from Hobby Town USA with my mom and I picked out the two most beautiful colors for my Integra and Supra. The Supra has one coat of Boyd Red on it and will have a second soon. The Integra has a coat of Pacific Blue and is also about to have another. These colors look totally amazing and I haven't even put more than one coat on! I will get some pictures up tomorrow in the light after they have dried. I just can't wait for these two to be polished! Speaking of polish, what do you recomend for polish and compound? I was thinking about picking up some turtle wax, but I don't know what to use. So, any advice would be helpful since my Torino has a couple of days before it gets compounded and polished.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: AHHH! The colors!

If they're Boyd paints, they won't be dry tomorrow, wait a couple of weeks before they're dry, and try not to handle them since you may well leave fingerprints on the paint.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:54 PM   #3
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pre98zetec Send a message via MSN to pre98zetec Send a message via Yahoo to pre98zetec

My boyd's airbrushed took a week to harden

96' Integra GSR / ITR cams/valvetrain. Skunk2 IM, Greddy evo2, AEM CAI, RMF Header, Megan testpipe, Hasport mounts, Eibach coilovers, Beaks tie bar, Megan H brace, Rota Attacks, F/R strut bar, Kirk 6 point cage, Bride Cugas, Takata 4 Point, ITR Steering wheel
98' SVT Contour, 3L Port-Matched swap with SVT cams/full bolt ons; 224fwhp.
01' Chevy Blazer, DD.
pre98zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:42 PM   #4
Whumbachumba
AF Enthusiast

Only the red is a Boyd paint. The blue isn't. They look really really good though. I can't wait till they are done.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:00 PM   #5
freakray
AF Modelrater

So what is the blue paint?

Do a forum search and you will find that different brands of paint have different drying times.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
Whumbachumba
AF Enthusiast

After looking at Hobby Town's web site, I found out that the blue is also a Boyd paint, so it looks like I will have to wait a while. Also, when I spray the bottom side of the body I use a plastic bag to cover my hand...well, I used one that had another color already on it and now there are dark spots on the roof. Will I have to clean the whole body or are they sandable? I can take pictures tomorrow if you need them so you can tell me what to do. I really hope I don't have to clean the whole body cause the rest of the car is practically done...actually, all three models are practically done except for the bodies of them. Well, I guess I'll hope for the best. Thanks for the info on the drying time also.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:47 PM   #7
freakray
AF Modelrater

How do you hold the body when you paint it?

You really should mount the body on something which you can hold when you spray it, once again, the search feature will help you out.
Also, check out the FAQ's and How To section.

Oh, and yes, pictures would be useful to see exactly how you got these marks on the body.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:26 AM   #8
Whumbachumba
AF Enthusiast

I put a small ziplock bag over my left hand and hold the body on the side of the roof on the side windows upside down so I can spray the bottom side of the side skirts and bumpers. I then set it on a old spray paint can and paint the rest of the body. I didn't realize that the previous paint would come off of the bag until I had laid down the second coat of paint. Thankfully, it is only on one of my cars, unfortunatly, it's the Supra. I would mount the car to a can with some tape if I could find any of our blue painters tape, but I can't find it anywhere, so that's why I used the ziplock bag, not the best method since I manage to still get paint on my wrist. That's made my wrist the blue and red right now. I promise that I will get pics of the damage soon. I am currently dog sitting at a friends house and won't be home for about 10 hours. Also, the quality of the pictures will be low since we have a low end digital camera that is about 4 years old.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:53 AM   #9
Amazon
AF Regular

I go ahead like this when painting a body; I put a dob of Blu-tac (think its called that) on a suitable spraycan with lid and then put the body on it,so that the Blu-tac sticks to the inner roof. By doing so, you reach every part of the body ( you hold the can in your hand,thereby you can move/rotate it). The only place that doesn`t get painted is a 1,5 inch circle on the inner roof. But thats not visible on the real model,so..
Old 03-20-2005, 11:18 AM   #10
Whumbachumba
AF Enthusiast

Finally some pics. As you can see on the Supra, there are darker spots of paint above the drivers side window on the roof.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling