Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 01:21 AM   #1
Chris Murphy
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Murphy
Question Warrenty Question

My 2003 Trailblazer did not come with an alarm nor keyless entry. The dealship tells me that they can have one installed by an outside company. If the dealership gets that company to put on the alarm and something goes wrong. My warenty will not cover any electrical repairs. Has anyone else run into this problems?
Chris Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 12:52 PM   #2
Badbjd
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Badbjd
Re: Warrenty Question

If they install a GM accessories system its covered with the bumper to bumper warranty. However if it is aftermarket it will not be covered.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:45 PM   #3
Flatrater
Main GM Guy

I have yet to see a GM aftermarket system that is covered for 3/36 usually they only get a 12 month warranty!!! The install is usually done by a sublet shop at the dealer and the system is covered by the company that installs it, it is best to check with the dealer before you buy it!!

10 YEARS TURNING WRENCHES FOR GM AND STILL GOING!!
GM Master tech
Licensed Aviation mechanic
Flatrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 05:21 PM   #4
Badbjd
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Badbjd
Smile Depends on the Service Manager

I appologize, I should of been a little more clear. I too have not seen very many covered under warranty however it can be done. In the Policys and Procedures manual any gm alarm system/keyless entry bought from GM SPO and intalled through the dealership within the 3/36 will be covered for the remainder of the 3/36 but will carry a minimum of a 12/12. Most service managers will not mess with it since it is a labor operation that is not common. I have submitted a warranty claim on a tonnau cover with a broken rail before and was paid for the claim. It was installed when the truck had about 4000 miles and the claim was filed at about 20000 miles. It depends on if the service manager wants to deal with it
Old 08-18-2003, 10:31 AM   #5
Krypto
AF Newbie

Yeah Chris, running into the same problem. I think it is a bit stupid, if the can put them in at the factory, why can't the service ppl at the dealership put them in. Or if the dealership is going to pawn you off on 3rd party then that should be covered. If it is the Dealers method of installing systems, then that should be covered by the dealer.
Krypto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:40 AM   #6
Chris Murphy
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypto
Yeah Chris, running into the same problem. I think it is a bit stupid, if the can put them in at the factory, why can't the service ppl at the dealership put them in. Or if the dealership is going to pawn you off on 3rd party then that should be covered. If it is the Dealers method of installing systems, then that should be covered by the dealer.
Thanks Krypto, I've even encontered problems trying to get anyone to install an alarm on this truck. I've been to 12 different alarm companies and they all have told me that this truck is the hardest to install an alarm on. It's something about the electrical wiring already in the truck.
Chris Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 07:25 AM   #7
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Warrenty Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Murphy
Thanks Krypto, I've even encontered problems trying to get anyone to install an alarm on this truck. I've been to 12 different alarm companies and they all have told me that this truck is the hardest to install an alarm on. It's something about the electrical wiring already in the truck.

OK where to start. 1st I guess is the alarm to pick. Look at this one. http://www.aatechnologies.com/gmalarms/vss2200.asp

That is the one that GM dealers are to try to sell. As you see, it comes with OEM remotes. This should have a lifetime warranty. Why you ask? Because it comes from DEI the people who make Viper alarms. This is the exact alarm as a Viper. DEI made a deal with GM after Codealarm made crap to GM.

As far as the install being hard. It depends on the company you are trying to use product from. Look at this http://bulldogsecurity.com/New%20Wir...lazer02-03.htm THat's from one of the worst ones to buy from. THey want you to open up all the doors but you do not need to. But if you use this one http://www.drdetailshop.com/555g.htm from DEI, you just have to hook up one wire under the dash for all the doors and such to work correctly.

I just did a Viper alarm/starter in a loaded Envoy last week. I had everythign done in about 90 minutes.
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 09:56 AM   #8
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Warrenty Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
OK where to start. 1st I guess is the alarm to pick. Look at this one. http://www.aatechnologies.com/gmalarms/vss2200.asp

That is the one that GM dealers are to try to sell. As you see, it comes with OEM remotes. This should have a lifetime warranty. Why you ask? Because it comes from DEI the people who make Viper alarms. This is the exact alarm as a Viper. DEI made a deal with GM after Codealarm made crap to GM.

As far as the install being hard. It depends on the company you are trying to use product from. Look at this http://bulldogsecurity.com/New%20Wir...lazer02-03.htm THat's from one of the worst ones to buy from. THey want you to open up all the doors but you do not need to. But if you use this one http://www.drdetailshop.com/555g.htm from DEI, you just have to hook up one wire under the dash for all the doors and such to work correctly.

I just did a Viper alarm/starter in a loaded Envoy last week. I had everythign done in about 90 minutes.
Whoops, I gave the wrong part # for doing keyless entry. The above (555g) is a different part used on some of the GM cars to get past the ignition security. For keyless on Trailblazer, Envoys and such, this is what you'll need. http://www.drdetailshop.com/456G.htm

It really couldn't be easier to install.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:09 PM   #9
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Murphy
My 2003 Trailblazer did not come with an alarm nor keyless entry. The dealship tells me that they can have one installed by an outside company. If the dealership gets that company to put on the alarm and something goes wrong. My warenty will not cover any electrical repairs. Has anyone else run into this problems?

Oh, what you stated above is against the law anyway. The Magnuson vs. Moss act was made because of dealers. There for a while dealers where getting real dumb with aftermarket stuff. Like if you put tail light covers on and then you had an electrical problem, they would void anything. Now, they have to prove in writing that what you had done had caused the problems. Some dealers are worse than others. Take a look
http://www.directsaleslaw.com/librar...s/undermag.htm