Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 06:12 PM   #1
Geerkil
AF Newbie

wood FWD 85 TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) problem.

Let me give you some history on my problem before I get into what I have a question about. Before we owned the car the engine was replace with a newer block. Apparently some rocket scientist mechanic left the oil pan plug out of the engine. We are not sure of the year of the current engine but we know for a fact that it is a different block then what was originally in the car. The oil pan is longer, a fact I discovered after having to replace the oil pump some years back.

The Oil filter adaptor cracked spewing the entire contents of the oil pan with great force up under the distributor and the rear of the transmission. We shut down the car engine soon enough. Could not find the exact replacement part and were forced to head to a junkyard. Found a 92 with a similar design engine and remove the oil filter adapter which was of a different design, and the two oil cooler lines. I got the correct ‘O’ ring seals from the dealer. I had to remove the distributor to get the clearance I needed to remove and install the new design adaptor, had to bend the fuel supply and return lines out of the way to make room for where the oil filter was now going to be located. I filled up the engine with oil and using my speed handle made sure that the pump was working and that the system was pressurizing properly. I then re-installed the distributor, put a jumper across pins ‘A’ and ‘B’ on the diagnostic connector and set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC as was recommended on the on the label under the hood. Now, the on-board diagnostics is displaying an error code E22 (Throttle Position Sensor problem). Prior to this problem there were no error codes on the car. I did not mess with the TPS or its adjustment. I did do an on car test of the TPS, then to insure that it was correct I removed it and redid the test off car. I cannot find the proper adjustment procedure for installing it. However the on car test was questionable, however the off car test was perfect. There is no reason to believe that there was anything that may have damaged the wiring. It is $80 for the part which I had replaced about a year ago so I do not believe the sensor just suddenly went bad. I do not have access to a break-out box and the schematics I have are not that detailed anyway. I felt lucky to find a book on the 1985 FWD Fleetwood. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on with the car?
Geerkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:44 PM   #2
pcv
AF Regular

Looks like you may have inadvertantly pulled on the tps wire harness. The tps ground wire or the 5volt wire is connected to other sensors. Check all the sensor wiring to make sure they are not rubbing/touching ground along the engine.