Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 03:07 PM   #1
79firebird
AF Newbie

Unhappy 79 firebird transmission trouble

HEy, im new to this forum and i have a question for you.Right now i am looking at a 1979 formula 400 firebird.It is in very nice condition and has a new 400 engine inside.THe guy said that he put a clutch pack in the trans too.But when i went to drive it there was no pickup.It is an auto and it felt like i was in a manual and was starting out in 3rd gear.It took FOREVER to get going.I was woundering if anyone knows what might be wrong with this car cause i want to get it but i need to know what it might cost to fix.IF you could give any suggestions i would be greatful.Thanks
79firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 10:35 AM   #2
fyrbyrd80
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to fyrbyrd80
First, are you sure that it's a 400 in that car? In '79 the only TA's that came with the 400 had standard transmissions. The 301 was available, as was the 403 Olds with the auto. The SBC may also have been available in the TA that year, but don't quote me on that one.

Second, if you are serious about buying the car, take it to a good mechanic, and have them go over the car. Tell them that you are considering buying the car. They should be able to tell you exactly what the problem is.

Does the car lack power in other ranges also, or just from a standing start? Who did the work on the trans to add the "power pak"? How is the trans fluid level? What gears does it have?
Old 06-06-2003, 06:14 PM   #3
79firebird
AF Newbie

they guy had the 400 put in the car it started with the 301. yeah that was i was thinking about just asking the guy if he would take it up to a mechanic with me to see whats wrong with it. it was like when i steped the petal down at anytime their was no real acceleration. I mean even the mini van had more pick up. this happened even at 55 mph. Im pretty sure the fluids were all good.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:15 PM   #4
79firebird
AF Newbie

they guy said he had the transmission done but when we started asking him about it it sounded like he might of done it cuz he was like maybe i didnt hook up something. so im not sure about that.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:07 PM   #5
konector
AF Newbie

Wink Fire Bird

You should check the engine timing in paticular the vacumn advance system. This can cause poor performance ( along with terrible fuel consumption )If the trans mission is of the older class, checking the modulator and vacumn source and the detent system.
konector is offline   Reply With Quote