Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Any way to put the Cruse light with the other dash lights?

happydog500
02-18-2010, 02:00 PM
When driving down the highway at night, I put the dash lights a little dimmer to cut the glare.

All the lights get dimmer, except the "CRUSE" Light. A big, bright green CRUSE is very bright.
Is there anyway to make it so the cruse light hooks in with the other dash lights?
Could I get a dimmer light for that one light? I've taken the cluster out (for other reasons), but can't remember if it has little lights that pull out in back.

Don't know why GM made it so when you have the dash lights dimer, the dash lights are not all dimer.

Can I change the cruse light?

Chris.

HotZ28
02-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Never heard of this complaint before, have you considered wearing sun glasses when driving @ night? :lol:

MagicRat
02-18-2010, 10:36 PM
I have encountered this same problem in a number of cars. Just as annoying is a bright-blue high-beam indicator light that cannot be dimmed.

It's not just GM...... I wonder if it's a safety-related law because I have seen it often, or the manufacturers have overlooked this detail for cost reasons.

I have come across tiny, 12 volt potentiometers (like an old-style radio volume control knob) that you could wire in series, so you could control the brightness...

..... or just put a bit of tape over the light.....

Smith1000
02-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Electrical tape works great over those lights. I thought Buick designed the width of that little lip where the lights are to be the same as the width of electrical tape. You can't even tell the tape is on there.

I had a Taurus that the air bag light blinked continually and, simultaneously, the check engine light was on too. We had the car about 7 years and those lights stayed on. The car ran great the whole time. Talk about bright at night. Even with business cards taped over them, they were still bright. That flashing is really annoying.

Seems like most of the cars I've had, the brights indicator lights never work. Maybe you could put a piece of scotch tape over it and it would tone it down some.

Audire
02-23-2010, 07:10 PM
The easiest way to dim those lights in the center of the speedometer is to put a thin piece of white or smoked translucent plastic behind the legends on the speedo dial. If it is white, the legend will be visible when off, but dimmer and better diffused. Milk jug plastic works well. Those lights are annoying to me also, because that full-brightness "MPH" light, at first glance, looks like a warning light with its low-tech 565nm LED's and clear legend. Dumb design.

I have not tried this on my Buick but I have done it to other cars. I simply don't like the Buick enough to modify anything.

Add your comment to this topic!