Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Buick LeSabre oil leak

cramer_77
12-15-2009, 01:56 PM
3.8L non-supercharged engine, 86,000 miles. Oil leak seems to be coming from around oil filter housing where it bolts to block. So originally we replaced the gasket thinking it had blown out over time. Didn't fix it. So we replaced it with gaskets from the dealer, still didn't fix it. We were told that the housing itself is a discontinued item and that it cannot be bought. We are running out of ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated.

HotZ28
12-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Usually the front cover gasket will leak, but appear to be the oil filter housing. They are so close together, it's hard to tell where it is leaking.

cramer_77
12-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Usually the front cover gasket will leak, but appear to be the oil filter housing. They are so close together, it's hard to tell where it is leaking.

Yeah after looking at it really hard, then getting my boss to look at it, we finally did notice it was the front cover, made me so mad when i seen that to, cause i had to stay late the night before and didn't get paid for it.

jman_69
06-20-2013, 02:46 AM
What exactly is a front cover gasket b/c I'm having this same issue and I have replace the gasket but I still have the oil leak

Tech II
06-20-2013, 06:38 AM
More often than not, it's the oil pressure switch/sender, located above the filter that is the culprit.....remove the harness and if there is oil on the contacts of the harness, the switch/sender is leaking.....sometimes it leaks out of there and is flung by the serp belt, making it hard to notice the source....

Add your comment to this topic!