Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tips on Changing Fuel Filter

freesiagirl
08-23-2007, 01:13 PM
I've read that the Fuel Filter can be a bugger to change. My hubby looked under the car and hasn't changed my yet, since it is in such a tight spot. Anybody have any tips on making the job easier???

Woodie83
08-24-2007, 04:22 AM
Go under there and squirt some penetrating oil on the mounting bolts a couple of days in advance, this is good advice for anything you're planning to do. Start the car and remove the fuel pump relay under the hood, let it run until it stalls out. Remove the gas cap to relieve any pressure inside the tank. It's still going to be a sloppy job, but at least the gas will just run out, not shoot out under pressure. Lots of guys like to cut the rubber hoses and replace them as trying to wiggle them off often breaks the steel gas lines.

DOCTORBILL
08-24-2007, 05:50 PM
I have a good suggestion - at least I think so!

This is "Politically Incorrect", but it is working for me, now....

Do this at your own discretion...

When you buy the Fuel Filter, also buy about 2 feet of high pressure Fuel Line tubing and two small
hose clamps of that size also!

Don't use low pressure fuel tubing.....

After removing the fuel filter, take out the hoses it was connected to and
replace it with a long length of high pressure fuel line...

THEN - go into the Engine Compartment and find the Fuel Line from the firewall
to the Throttle Body's front side.

Cut that line in half and insert the Fuel Filter into the cuts and clamp with the two
small hose clamps.

Be sure the "IN" and "OUT" portions match up with direction the fuel flows.

This way, when you want to change the Fuel Filter again, it will be up front
and easily worked on!

I did it and it worked out very nicely. Been in there almost a year now...
Picture below.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6588/number5ho5.jpg

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6233/number7in3.jpg

DoctorBill

GM Line Rat
08-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Yea, the fuel filter is basically a PITA to change....Docs suggestion to relocate is indeed a good idea. I basically did the mod like Doc did, but I used an old FF bracket I had, modified it a bit, then mounted the fuel filter setup under the clutch slave reservoir area in order to avoid any heat coming off the engine area. As allready mentioned , The FF itself stores a decent amount of fuel in it, and these cars ar no "Gas Guzzlers". My approach Was: The cooler you keep the fuel supply to the engine, the better off you are in the burn process of it and avoiding any potential "Pre-Detenation" AKA...Spark Knock. This area is also wide open from under the car to, so it makes changing the FF a snap in the future! Props for the pics of this mod Doc!

carpenter_jai
08-25-2007, 12:51 AM
Bill, that mod is ingenious! The previous tips are definitely very important. I have a quick tip. It may seem silly to some, but when I fist started wrenching, I only had one small ratchet set. Now I have several with differing sizes of extensions and such. This makes life easier than one might think. I seem to recall that deep sockets worked well for me the last time I replaced a fuel filter.

Jai

GM Line Rat
08-25-2007, 08:27 AM
when I first started wrenching, I only had one small ratchet set. Now I have several with differing sizes of extensions and such.

And small hands too, when doing the FF in the factory location. If your planning on working on your own vehicles, at the very least you should just take the dive and buy a complete set of sockets such as a craftsman set with 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive, standard and deep well. SAE and Metric sockets. You might drop $200.00 on a set like this, but look at it this way: If you do 2 repairs on your car (With the help of this forum).....That you would have paid a mech to do.....Your new socket set just paid for itself! I dont even want to imagine how many tool sets, boxes and specialty tools I have now, but I've been in this game a long time now and saved so much $$$ in repair bills and knowledge gained that it was worth every dime!

Icanfixit
08-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey This does sound like an excellent idea. I would definately try doing this swap. I also like the idea of moving it to a reasonablly excessible area away from the motor. because the cooler you keep you fuel the better the car will run. But do as is mentioned here depressurize the fuel system by the procedure mentioned above.

Add your comment to this topic!