Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Metro Needs New Engine???

~*Secret*~
08-15-2007, 02:53 PM
My '93 Metro Convertible has been getting oil in the breather. I've only had this car about 3 months (got it as a college graduation gift) and it's done this 3 times. We changed a gasket and the PCV valve and it solved the problem for about a 1,500 miles, but it did it again. The strange thing is, it only does it when I'm on the highway. The last time it did this, I just cleaned out all the oil from the breather and drove it another 500 miles before it happened again. Just driving around town, everything is fine. So this time I took it to a repair shop and they said I need a new engine. Is this true? I find it difficult to believe when this is my only problem. If I do need a new engine, should I just have mine rebuilt or just get another one. But if I got another one wouldn't I have the same problem? The repair shop claims that Geo's engines rarely last past 100,000 miles. My engine only has 74444 miles on it. Then I started wondering if I had to just get a new one, could I get a 4 cylinder one or even a 6? I know very little about cars, so I thought it best to ask some experts.

I appreciate any and all help you can give me.

DOCTORBILL
08-15-2007, 03:29 PM
You should see another repair shop - you got a "ringer"! Bozos!

Metro's go on forever - if taken car of.....you got it used (and probably abused)
by someone else.

I rebuilt my '93 Metro 3 cyl engine and I am somewhat of a non-mechanic, as it were.
It was fun - scary but fun. $450 more or less for me to do it.

If the vehicle body and interior are in good shape, if you like the car,
if you like 50 miles per gallon, if you have the nerve, you might consider
having the engine replaced - either by someone else or do it yourself
and learn.

The '93 Metro is a "simple" engine to work on...do others reading this agree?!

Look around this forum (search) for Threads on replacing the engine in a 3 cylinder Metro.

I posted many threads about the rebuild process with many pictures to show what I
did (I am a visual learner).

DoctorBill

Hugemoth
08-15-2007, 04:10 PM
First thing to do is check the compression to see if there is a problem with the rings. Not real likely that the rings are worn out after only 75,000 miles but possible. It's more likely that the rings are sticking in the grooves allowing blow-by. In that case there are oil additives that can help unstick them.

Q

Add your comment to this topic!