Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Sputter/surging/stumbling issue

jackfoxx
03-26-2007, 01:16 PM
1994 Le Sabre, have had issues for the past year with sputtering and surging. When under a load the engine seemed that it had a rev limiter on it. Going around a corner at 10-15 mph and then getting ito the throttle, it would stumble and limit out at 2200 rpms.

The other day while getting ready for a smog check, I put in a tank of Unocal 92 octane gas. After driving for a while, I noticed that the stumble is gone. I drove all weekend to see if I could get it to sputter/stumble and I couldnt. Would the higher octane have anything to do with this problem? I talked with my mechanic and he didnt know what to say. Could the knock sensor be part of the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Jack

maxwedge
03-26-2007, 03:33 PM
I'd check fuel pressure at the rail when this is happening.

Marshall Dillon
03-29-2007, 11:26 AM
I have a 93 with a similar problem. It seems to happen only after I've driven the car for about 20 minutes on days when temp is above 70 or 75 degrees. I checked the pressure and the pressure goes away when I throttle up. I replace fuel pump with pump from Advance Auto but not the pickup sock. I still have the problem. I've run cold water over the coils and crank sensor no change. I actually have to pull over wait 5 minutes then drive a little further and do the same thing over takes a long tome to get anywhere when this happens.:shakehead :banghead:

Scrapper
03-29-2007, 12:26 PM
i'd say the cps or tps if fuel pump is good. another thing is that sock you should replace it everytime when replacing fuel pump..

Add your comment to this topic!