Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trouble codes on a 1993 Lesabre

Rasp
03-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Hello

I have been having some stalling difficulties with my car and I also have the check engine light on.

I pulled the codes and came up with three different codes, they are;

12 - Which is the diagnostic mode (I'm pretty sure this is nothing but the computer telling me that it is checking for codes)

17 - This one I'm not sure about. I have the Haynes manuel and it isn't even listed.

53 - Haynes lists this one as "System over-voltage (ECM over 17.7 volts)" This is the one that I think is the real problem.

My problem is that I don't know what it means and I hate taking the car to the service station if I can do it myself. Any ideas what I could do or is this an electrical short in the car somewhere that a mechanic needs to fish out.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rasp

Mickey#1
03-25-2007, 04:00 PM
17 = Spark reference circuit

Sounds like both codes could shut the engine down. If you're really putting out voltage that high then the regulator (built into the alternator) must be bad.

Luke.
03-26-2007, 09:35 AM
RASP
12 - Which is the diagnostic mode

(I'm pretty sure this is nothing but the computer telling me that it is checking for codes)
You are correct, in that the '12' will blink three times, followed by any codes set into memory.
Each will blink three times, while at the end of the memory search/reading,
the system will blink '12', again three times.

Rasp
03-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Ok, so here is what I did. I took the alternator off the car so that I could take it in to be checked. It turns out that the alternator was running fine.

I then returned home and put the alternator back on the car and brought the car into "Canadian Tire" They suggested a diagnostic scan. I told them that I already pulled codes from the car. They said that my codes don't give them enough information.

I then told them that I brought the alternator in and in the process I disconnected the negative battery terminal. I therefore do not have any codes because the computer would have reset itself.

They told me not to worry the computer keeps a history. Well guess what, They were wrong.

So any other ideas out there?

HotZ28
03-26-2007, 05:54 PM
If you drive the car for a while, the codes will come back if you still have a problem. According to my information, code 53 is not a valid code and if it was, it would be related to the EGR system, not voltage problems. Code 16 would indicate high/low voltage on the 1993 3800 (VIN L). Code 17 could be ICM, CPS or associated wiring & connectors. You are losing the spark reference signal somewhere.

Rasp
03-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Ok...

Then what would be my next step???

Are you saying that I need a garage to diagnose this issue if the code comes back?

I feel confident changing out parts but I don't have a damn clue about the electrical misfirings.

HotZ28
03-26-2007, 08:33 PM
You could remove the ignition control module (ICM) and have it tested at AutoZone. You said your car is “stalling”. Could you give us some more information concerning this stall. Does it stall after driving for sometime and the engine is hot, or just at random? Do you have a misfire condition when the engine is running? When the engine stalls, will it start back up immediately, or do you have to wait? The more information you can provide, the better!

Rasp
03-27-2007, 09:03 AM
My stalling issues

When the car stalls there is no warning whatsoever. In fact I sometimes don't even know it stalled until I feel it in the steeringwheel (pump stops working because of stall).

When it stalls I have had to wait up to an hour before it would restart. The car turns over but it won't start.

The other problem is that it might not stall again for over a month. This wouldn't be a problem for me but my wife drives the car and it drives her insane.

Other than that the car drives very smooth, the engine purrs like a kitten. The engine does have 200 000 km on it (not sure what that is in miles but it is less than 200 000 miles).

Thanks for all the ideas

I will try to get the icm checked next.

Add your comment to this topic!