Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 LeSabre won't go forward

shosak
02-19-2007, 07:21 PM
In October my car was driving fine. One day I went out to go to work and backed out of the driveway and it would not drive forward. It set up until mid-January when my husband was killed in an automobile accident and some kind gentleman at our local technical school put a new or at least a rebuilt transmission in it. I drove it for two weeks until Sunday morning when it once again went into reverse and started in forward. Suddenly it was like the front keft tire locked up and now it won't drive again. Could it be the transmission and if so is something causing it to go out. Any suggestions because I am at the end of my rope. Thanks. It is a 2000 Buick LeSabre Limited.

maxwedge
02-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Sounds like something in that axle, someone has to check this out for you on site.

Bassasasin
02-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Theres only 6 issues I can think of
1. Brakes
2. Transaxle
3. Transmission
4. PCM Computer
5. Shifter
6. ABS defective

ABS or Brakes.
Check to see if only one wheel stopps.
Is it definately one wheel stopping..
YES >>>Have the ABS checked for malfunction to that wheel. Do you hear a buzz or feel a buzz on the brake pedal.

BRAKES.
Is your parking brake set or broken. Brake slave on wheel stuck.

Does the car ever drive normally sometimes. (transaxle ok)

The transmission has been changed. (assume ok)

PCM Has the PCM Computer given any codes.
SHIFTER Switch Does the RED appear around the D at the time of shifting.
PCM Computer responds with the red and says you are in drive.

Parking brake set or bad

Good Luck

shosak
02-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Someone mentioned the ABS brake. The ABS light had come on but I didn't really know what it was. Like I said I am totally new to this. If it is the ABS brake what needs to be done and who would I take it to to have it fixed. A transmission shop or a general mechanic? Thank you all for helping me.

Bassasasin
02-20-2007, 05:53 PM
IF IT IS ONLY ONE WHEEL.
Call some brake shops or your General Mechanic favorite repair shop..
Unfortunately you live a bit away from most shops.
You need to find one that is a close, long in buisness place.
Establish your patrionage and your trust.

If its just a left front brake problem, its possible it will be cheaper to repair than a ABS system problem.
OR if it is ABS maybe, if your lucky, you can disable the ABS by pulling the fuse to get around or over to a bigger city.

If it is ABS. Shops usually diagnose ABS for $80 approx... They dont fix it for that, just hook up the machine to diagnose for the $80. Sometimes they give you a break(no pun) if you have the work done there..

ABS is Anti Lock Brake system.. it is the best safety feature since seatbelts, a good thing to have working in a hard braking situation. Your brake pedal will vibrate and rise up a bit to allow your wheels NOT to stop completely and provide you with ability to continue to steer away from a problem while still braking violently, or on ice, or sand.

The LeSabre you have is almost like mine. Its a great car.
Keep it serviced and it will serve you well.

My condolances..

Good Luck

shosak
02-22-2007, 09:54 PM
I just want to report that a friend of my son looked at my car to see if he saw anything and apparently a bolt was off of the caliper and had locked up the brake. Thanks so much for all the help.

Bassasasin
02-23-2007, 06:47 AM
Thank you so very much for reporting...

Bass

Add your comment to this topic!