Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 metro flywheel transmission bearing

idmetro
02-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Anyone know of a reasonable way to pull the beariing for the transmission input shaft from the flywheel without removing the flywheel from the engine? I've currently got the transmission removed and have found this bearing to be in marginal condition so I'd like to swap it out but don't want to pull the flywheel unless needed.

Secondarily; if pulling the flywheel what is the best way to go? How do you lock it in place so you can pull the bolts? I don't see any through holes and can't see any obvious way to immobilize it?:screwy:

Jagwar
02-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Anyone know of a reasonable way to pull the beariing for the transmission input shaft from the flywheel without removing the flywheel from the engine? I've currently got the transmission removed and have found this bearing to be in marginal condition so I'd like to swap it out but don't want to pull the flywheel unless needed.

Secondarily; if pulling the flywheel what is the best way to go? How do you lock it in place so you can pull the bolts? I don't see any through holes and can't see any obvious way to immobilize it?:screwy:

Can't imagine a reasonable method for replacing the flywheel bearing without removing it, but getting it off is easy.
On the opposite end of the engine from the flywheel (front or left, depending on your perspective under the hood) just stick a socket on the nut in the center of the main pulley. That will allow you to keep the flywheel from spinning while removing its bolts (works best with 2 people).
Mark the flywheel in a manner that will allow you to align the same way when you reinstall it (holes in flywheel aligned with the same holes as before removal)

Crvett69
02-12-2007, 07:38 PM
if you don't want to buy a puller you can do it with wheel bearing grease. pack the cavity behind the bearing as full and you can with grease, find a 1/4" drive socket that just fits into the center hole on bearing. using a extension tap it into the hole, will have to do it several times to get all the air out but one you do the grease won't compress and it will drive the bearing out as you tap the socket in. its messy but it works

idmetro
02-13-2007, 12:51 PM
CrVett69;
What sort of puller? I have been to the local Schucks and Napa and both claim to have no knowledge of a puller capable of doing the job. Do you have such a puller available that you could get the make/model number from?

GM Line Rat
02-13-2007, 12:58 PM
I've seen the method Crvett69 mentioned in my Haynes manual (Grease) but since I was installing a new complete clutch kit.....I pulled the flywheel off the engine and popping the old pilot bearing out was easy with a socket (Slightly smaller than the bearing) and a 3/8" extension......Just tap it decent with a hammer and out it went! Installed the new bearing in reverse procedure and as previously mentioned, if your gonna remove the flywheel....Mark it 1st with white chaulk or a white paint marker like i used.

Crvett69
02-13-2007, 02:51 PM
just look on e-bay under pilot bearing puller, assortment there to choose from but if you don;t want to wait 2 weeks to get one or spend $40 in town just try the grease method

idmetro
02-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Excellent hints gents. I very much appreciate the tips as I need to get this buggy back on the road so I can get other things preped for an upcoming move.

idmetro
02-22-2007, 10:51 AM
I used Jagwars tip of the socket on the crank bolt to hold the flywheel still and it worked like a charm. Took a sharpie and match marked the flywheel to the crank before I pulled it. Used a socket to drive out the old bearing and install the new one. Reassembled with a new clutch/pressure plate/bearing. Tried to use the piece of junk plastic alignment tool and finally decided it wasn't worth the battle (way too sloppy): pulled an input shaft from a wrecked tranny and used it. Transmission literally fell into place

Add your comment to this topic!