Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Type And Brand Preference?

mtran2000
11-15-2006, 08:57 PM
What oil brand and weight do you Metro owners use?

I just got car and went with 5W 30 and whatever brand garage uses when I had oil changed.

I am thinking synthetic next time
Mark

99Metro
11-16-2006, 08:48 AM
I would stick with the 5w-30. I'd refrain from synthetic - not that it is bad - but that you would have a mix of both oils for a few oil changes. If your engine has very low miles, there might be a benefit with synthetic, but with a high miles engine... I don't see the cost of synthetic versus the benefits. I used synthetic in my 68 Nova and it still used a quart of oil every so often, plus the oil was $40 a gallon. Just my 2 cents.

Irk
11-16-2006, 09:23 AM
My 97 Metro 3 banger has been running Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 since it had 18 miles on the odometer. Thats what the previous owner told me anyway. No problems at all, burns about 1 quart every 7500 miles, which is normal. The car now has 75,000 on it. Since yours is a higher mileage engine I think I would stick with conventional oil, heard alot of bad things about switching to synthetic on a high mileage engine. Search this forum on oil type, there are alot of other previous threads on this subject.

MoJoWrrrrKen
11-16-2006, 01:04 PM
I have a 92 xFi triple with 130k and I've been using my own blend:

1/2 Valvoline MaxLife (for older engines)

+

1/2 full synthetic

+

20 % Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Why buy a "synthetic blend" when you can make your own? I haven't heard a reason why I shouldn't.

The question I have is what kind of GAS does everyone here use. Is the GEO/Suzuki supposed to run on regular? What's the compression ratio? Which gas will burn cleaner, to keep those EGR deposits to a minimum?

Add your comment to this topic!