Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Problems?

halljow
10-31-2006, 06:42 AM
I have a 91 convertible with 5 spd. I have a couple of issues and I am not sure how big the problem is. Occassionally when driving my metro when trying to accelerate, the engine revs high kind of like it is slipping out of gear for a minute. When this happens it does it for all gears. Also, when downshifting into 2nd gear I have to slow way down before it will let me downshift.

I have some ideas but I would like to hear some of yours. Thanks in advance for the help!

idmetro
10-31-2006, 11:03 AM
Welcome to AF! The slipping is likely a clutch issue (probably needs changed)while the downshifting to second is probably your synchro fading away. I've read great things about the GM synchromesh gear oil helping with the synchro issue (Pennzoil Syncromesh is supposed to be the same stuff for 1/2 the cost) but I haven't tried it yet. Good Luck!

way
10-31-2006, 12:04 PM
I have the same problem. Haven't tried the gear oil yet but a temporary workaround that has worked for me is that when I want to downshift to second, I push the shifter up as though I were shifting to first and then shift down to second. DO NOT actually try to shift to first, just kind of bump the shifter up a little bit. Seems to work quite well. Apparently this "borrows" from the first gear synchro gear according to another thread I read on this topic.

Hope this helps.

halljow
11-01-2006, 07:16 AM
Thanks Way, I tried the shift work around yesterday and that does seem to work.

Also, I think I'll go by the parts store today for some Penzoil!

way
11-01-2006, 07:51 AM
I'm glad it helped.

If you try the Pennzoil, can you post back and let us know if it worked?

Thanks!

Metro Mighty Mouse
11-01-2006, 08:17 PM
The #2 syncro in these cars is notorious for going bad. I drove mine for several years before it finally failed completely and became a grinding noise. Study up on double clutching and you will be able to work around the problem for quite awhile.

A quick, simplified, lesson in double clutching -

clutch in, shift out of 3rd -

clutch out, rev engine to add approximately 200 to 500 rpm -

clutch in, pull into 2nd.

This is the way people used to have to drive before synchromesh transmissions. What you are doing when revving the engine is matching the rpm of the the different gear sets that you are trying to shift into.

I actually had to drive without 2nd gear for a couple of months and then it came back and lasted for years. Just had to use all of 1st gear before shifting to 3rd. The engine handled it with very little complaint, as long as I wasn't on a steep incline.

Good luck!!

Jon

way
11-02-2006, 02:42 AM
Hi Jon,

I have used that method a couple of times.

The irony is that I had a CDL and now I have to drive my Metro like a big truck. And I hate double clutching http://img116.exs.cx/img116/1231/z7shysterical.gif

My Geo is apparently ambitious.

Metro Mighty Mouse
11-02-2006, 02:10 PM
The irony is that I had a CDL and now I have to drive my Metro like a big truck. And I hate double clutching http://img116.exs.cx/img116/1231/z7shysterical.gif

My Geo is apparently ambitious.

That is how I learned, made it much easier than rowing back and forth, trying to get it in gear. It was quite a change driving the metro on my days off.

Keep on Swifting!!

halljow
11-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Update, I have replaced my clutch that worked out well and I also replaced the transmission fluid with the Penzoil Syncrmesh.

I have not noticed an improvement with the #2 syncro (its not that big of deal now that I know the cheat). I was just wondering if that is something that I would see imediately or if it would be more of a gradual improvement if any?

Thanks again for all your help!

91Caprice9c1
12-08-2006, 04:56 AM
FWIW I strongly advise against pushing your shifter toward first in order to downshift into second. The friction introduced to the first gear synchro with this method is at least doubled normal wear and tear each time you do it. And losing a first gear synchro is much more of a PITA than losing a second gear synchro. From a point of view strictly concerned with preserving a transmission, double-clutching is the appropriate method of by-passing a failing synchro. However from the point of view strictly concerned with preserving the engine, double-clutching is going to quicker wear out the rear thrust washer. Pick your poison, either way the clutch gets more wear and tear.
-Mechanicmatt

Add your comment to this topic!