Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Engine swap

getro
10-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi there! I have a 96 metro and got a repacement engine for it. The engine is one of those sent here from Japan. It is 0 95 and does not have the hole for the crank sencer. Will it work with out and pass smog? has any one done this befor. HELP! I love this little thing and just want to get it back on the road.

idmetro
10-25-2006, 08:57 AM
getro;
Welcome to AF! I haven't tried this myself but I read a post where the crank sensor was bypassed http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=631094 Also you could try the search function of the forum to likely uncover even more information. It is my understanding that if you want to keep things matched up you need to install I believe a new oil pump (right guys?) to accomodate the hole for the crank sensor. Lots of guys on this forum have installed JDM engines and gotten great service from them. Hope you are back on the road soon.

getro
10-25-2006, 12:11 PM
That you, The ? is the hole in the case do i need drill it out or relocat it?

99Metro
11-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Don't worry about the crank sensor. My 99 Chevy Metro 1.0L 5-speed had a crank sensor in the wiring harness, but not on the JDM engine. I bypassed the crank sensor to get rid of the check engine light. Take the crank sensor out of the wiring harness, then tap the wires into the two wires coming out of the distributor. I have about 2k miles on the JDM and no performance issues. I'm getting OVER 50 mpg! Or you can just let the crank sensor and harness lay in the engine compartment tied up and either live with the check engine light, or remove the bulb.

Add your comment to this topic!