Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Spark Plug Poll - For and Against Bosch platinum Plugs

DOCTORBILL
10-02-2006, 07:55 PM
From another thread -
"What happened with Platinum Spark Plugs? Almost quadrupled in price!"

I get the impression that there is a raging controvery about Bosch Platinum Plugs.

Please enter your comments and experiences with them!

I always found them to worrk well and give me a couple more mpg efficiency,
but others not....

German engineering! Almost ruled the world! Verner von Braun and all that!

DoctorBill

idmetro
10-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Had prior problems with Bosch (Botch...) sparkplugs failing WAY early in their projected lifespan. Don't hate them vehemently but won't buy them unless I have no alternative..... NGK/DENSO have done a much better job for me in my Metros.

Irk
10-08-2006, 12:21 AM
I put Bosch Platinum +4's in my first car a 1988 Buick Century 2.5L 4 cyl with 77,000 miles back in 2000. The car is currently still running great. My sister now owns it and the plugs are still good at 125,000 miles.

I bought 1992 Dodge Spirit 3.0L V6 with 113,000 miles back in 2003. I put Bosch Platinum +4's in, smoothed out the idle pretty good in this car. I currently still own the vehicle 144,500 miles on it now and it still runs great.

I Just recently purchased a 1997 Geo Metro 3cyl this past June with 65,000 miles on it. I put the Bosch Platinum +2's in this car. It runs fine to me, idles nice and smooth.

I don't see anything wrong with these plugs they always worked fine for me. I do think now though that the +4 and +2 plugs is just a marketing gimmick. The regular bosch platinums probably would have worked just as good.

Mike_Van
10-09-2006, 05:55 PM
My parts guy recommended NGK for my '96 3 cyl 1.0 l. Metro, even though I inquired about Bosch plugs initially. Not problems yet with NGK.

Oddly, fresh plugs resolved an intermittent P0420 CEL code (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold) I had been getting (and clearing with my ScanGuage), since I purchased the vehicle 24 months earlier.

Who knew a worn plug could have such an effect???

GeoMetron
10-11-2006, 06:39 PM
My mechanic said that he didn't believe that the stock ignition system was "hot" enough to really use platinum plugs. He recommended stock NGKs, which is what I asked for at the parts supply store before being talked into the platinum plugs.

himie298
10-23-2006, 09:41 AM
I love and hate them they made my 93 subaru legacy run rough, and my 97 ford ranger just wouldn't run with them went back to ngk and autolight. my 96 jetta love's them. I stay with what came in the car and have better luck with plugs.

MT-2500
10-25-2006, 04:46 PM
From another thread -
"What happened with Platinum Spark Plugs? Almost quadrupled in price!"

I get the impression that there is a raging controvery about Bosch Platinum Plugs.

Please enter your comments and experiences with them!

I always found them to worrk well and give me a couple more mpg efficiency,
but others not....

German engineering! Almost ruled the world! Verner von Braun and all that!

DoctorBill

DoctorBill
For the geo/metro they are good.
I think they are OEM type plugs in them.

But on most of the big 3 they run like crap in them.
When I find Bosch plugs in them I just drop them in the trash can.
:grinyes: :rofl: :lol:

Always use the OEM type plugs the good book calls for and you will not go wrong.

GM most us AC delco
Ford most use Motocraft
Cry most use champion.
Asian and euro. cars check the good book for OEM type.
MT

Add your comment to this topic!