Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Metro won't start

Mohave
10-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Hello the group,

I am trying to bring back a 92 Metro that has been sitting for four years. Last winter I was able to start and drive it, but this year I am having a problem. I was able to start it by pouring a little gas down the throttle body to prime it and it started and ran rather well. I warmed it up and then turned the engine off. When I tried to start it back up as I had the year before, it would not start. I then primed it a little with gas and it started, but died in a few seconds when the gas in the intake was used up.

This tells me the ignition and computer are probably fine since it fires when gas is introduced to the intake. I am thinking maybe bad fuel or clogged injector. Anyone have any thoughts after reading my description.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Crvett69
10-02-2006, 04:21 PM
sounds more like the pump or filter in back. have someone turn the key on for a moment while you listen back by the gas tank, pump should run for a few seconds after you turn key on

mowfixer
10-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Also 4 year old gas is most likely not in good shape.

Your fuel system may be clogged with gummed up bad fuel. Unless you used fuel stabilizer the gas will be like paint remover.

Mohave
10-02-2006, 07:43 PM
All good points. I have started the car and it ran well after three years of sitting with the same gas, but I suspect I should disconnect the fuel line where it connects to the throttle body injector and the jump the fuel pump relay to use the fuel pump to pump out the fuel lines. That will give me an opportunity to inspect the fuel for crud and water.

I appreciate the input and it has taken me to a course of action.

Add your comment to this topic!