Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Window Hop Cured!

DavidLang
09-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Every time I tried to roll the window up or down it would stick and stress as I coaxed it into place. I shot WD-40 into the channel on both ends and now it works like a champ. If it moves and it's not supposed to, use Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and it's supposed to, use WD-40!

MoJoWrrrrKen
09-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks, I think I'm going to try that.

Just to clarify what you did :

1. Roll the window down all the way,
2. Shove the little plastic spray extension into the tip of your WD-40 sprayer,
3. Spray down into the window slot. (Concentrate on the leading -- front -- and trailing -- back -- edges of the window.
4. Run the window up and down a few times, to distribute the WD-40, and wipe up any over-spray on the window.

(Personally, I probably would have guessed that the linkage that does the job would be somewhere behind the crank, but maybe all that would do is get more glop on the glass.)

DavidLang
09-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Just to clarify what you did :

1. Roll the window down all the way,
2. Shove the little plastic spray extension into the tip of your WD-40 sprayer,
3. Spray down into the window slot. (Concentrate on the leading -- front -- and trailing -- back -- edges of the window.
4. Run the window up and down a few times, to distribute the WD-40, and wipe up any over-spray on the window.

Yes, that is correct. I too thought it would be more of a linkage problem but as it worked out just a shot of good ol' WD40 on both ends of the window molding took care of it.

mostly_water
01-17-2007, 01:54 PM
This trick has worked wonders for me too over the months, but I've noticed recently that the rubber weather-stripping that the window glass slides in is either warped or deteriorating. It's especially noticeable along the edge toward the front of the car. Is replacing this a do-it-yourself task, or a drop-off-at-the-shop task? :uhoh:

Thanks.

DOCTORBILL
01-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Silicone Spray (any automotive store) works well also.

Even some Parowax (wax) will help.

How about some Talcum Powder? Dry.....

Any oil will collect dirt which booger's up the works.....

WD-40 tends to completely evaporate in a short time.

Just some observations and my $ 0.02 (in U$D). No idea in Canadian....

DoctorBill

91Caprice9c1
01-18-2007, 03:46 AM
The cause of this problem in these cars in the first place is the weather stripping which starts at the bottom of either window track, around the top of the door/window frame and back down to the bottom of the other window track in one piece. A do-it-yourselfer should have a good time doin' it. Door panel removal, and glass removal is nessecary, but after the glass is out it's a simple task to replace the weather stripping, and all in all it's not too bad. Wear long sleeves, or your forearms will hate life. The only trouble is - I haven't been able to find replacement weatherstripping anywhere. I've had to use stripping from wrecked geos in our fleet.

-mechanicmatt

Add your comment to this topic!