Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need cat converter info please

ahoorakia
09-05-2006, 05:02 AM
I have 91 metro,and I need new cat converter,(WALKER#55108) ,I can get it for 126$(on line shipped) or( 140$ at store) also another brand is (MAREMONT#29571) for 130$,these are for manual tranny,and direct fit,no welding requiered.My question is, anyone here knows the facts about how good they are? any brand is better over the other? my cat is probably still good ,but I noticed hissing noise,which I checked and found ,there is hole in it. should I buy the cat converter by itself instead of direct fit( which has all the pipes from exhuast manifold to resonator) which means welding and taking it to shop,but it is about 40 to 50$ cheaper than directfit.not to be rude,but i need facts not opinions.Thanks for all the inputs

HannabilRox
09-13-2006, 04:51 PM
With direct fit, you will need to take the old pipe off the exhaust manifold, and at the resonator end. Both ends are nut / bolt set up, so you should not need any welding. However, getting the nuts/bolts off the exhaust manifold side may cause the bolts to break, and good luck trying to get them out of the manifold. Doesn't matter if you break the bolts on the resonator side, those are easy to replace. You would need new gaskets for both as well. Between Maremont and Walker, they are about the same in quality. I found a Magnaflow brand on eBay (part # 22616) for $75.78 and I believe that included shipping. That part number is for a 92 Metro. I can not say yet what kind of quality, I have not installed it yet, but it looks like the OEM, including the hanger bracket welded to the cat.

Add your comment to this topic!