Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

stripped bolt won't come out

carpenter_jai
08-16-2006, 03:30 AM
I'm sure I'm not the first to have this problem. Even using heat to remove bolts from the control arm, I stripped that sucker, and it won't come out or tighten back in. The other bolt came out, and it was stripped in the middle. There are intact threads on the bottom and top of the bolt. Someone please give me an idea to get this piece of crap out that doesn't involve melting it our and re-tapping the hole. :headshake

Jai

jholli_27
08-16-2006, 08:46 PM
You could drill it out, but you would probably need to tap the threads when done. Or if you could apply pressure from the other side of the bolt when trying to remove it, that might work.

vcrmonthly
08-21-2006, 10:59 AM
I have used a tool that I bought at Sears several years ago called a "Nut Cracker" to remove bolts and nuts that just wouldn't budge for one reason or another. If you can get the tool on the head of the bolt or on the nut, it works like magic. Of course it ruins the bolt/nut so you have to replace with a new one. I can't remember the cost of this tool, but it seems like it was about $25 or $30. Good luck!

Irk
08-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Spray the bolt down with wd-40 let it soak in the threads and use some vise grip pliers on it, usually works for me

Add your comment to this topic!