Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tailgate Lock

hot_sd
08-05-2006, 11:21 PM
For some reason it is becoming harder to close - have to use almost a throwing action to get it to lock properly. Any easy fix or do I need a new lock. If I do any ideas on places/sources to get them. I think the struts are also gone as they no longer spring up easily - could do with a new pair. Not critical to the operaition of the car but the tailgate lock is getting annoying...

idmetro
08-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Haven't experienced this on mine; yet... However on a different vehicle I have had similar happenings, when I lubed the lock mechanism with WD40 it would work for for another 6 months or so at which point I'd have to lube it again. You might try that.

hot_sd
08-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the reply. I did try applying some general purpose grease on the latching lever before posting this but it did not help at all. maybe the WD40 may help - I will see if I can take it out and do something to help the problem.

RossT
08-17-2006, 06:34 AM
try and adjust the bar that the lock latches on to when you shut the hatch. You will need a big phillips scew driver. I had to move mine around a little to get it to close whithout slamming the hatch down.

hot_sd
08-17-2006, 11:03 PM
OK that was a good tip. Had a good look at the lock striker (that's the "official" name for the bar thing) and it was definitely out of alignment at the top. Loosened the screws, realigned it and it appears to have been fixed as it now closes easily and without much effort. Not sure why but many of the screws on my metro cannot be turned by hand - not sure if are using some kind of power tool to put them on at the factory. My impact wrench with an impact screwdriving bit brought it out quick though.

Add your comment to this topic!