Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I'm Baaack.... Got off my dead butt! Timing Cover. WITH PICTURES!

DOCTORBILL
05-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Decided to start a new thread with this....many things to say.

I have been awaiting Spring to get back to my '93 Geo Metro.

I have the Throttle Body (TB) Top off of the TB and need to check the Fuel Pressure.

As some of you may know, I discussed the Timing Belt adjustment in a previous thread.
"picture of a 97 geo 3 cyl with the timing belt cover removed" by "recce"

Crvett69 was kind enough to send me a 'new' used TB Cover shown below next to my
old beat to Hell TB Cover that came with the vehicle when I bought it used last spring.

Thank you very much Crvett69 !

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8738/timingbeltcover1gv.jpg

As one can see, the old one had been modified such that the main belt pulley did not
have to be removed (Four 10 mm bolts easily removed - the pulley is keyed).
It was missing a hold-down tab on the left. Notice how the water pump pulley had scored
the cover (the arc cut out on the left side).

I reset the belt tension to that of the tensioning spring - see below.
This was as per Crvett69's instructions. After doing this, it was apparent that my
belt tension hadn't been set much tighter!

Below are two digital photos from underneath my jacked up '93 Metro 3 cyl - 1 L.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5161/timingbeltbottomview16bc.jpg

http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/9857/timingbeltbottomview24at.jpg

NOW - Those two bolts on the left of the TB Cover were absolute bastards to get
into the proper holes. I got the upper one, but the one second from the bottom
would not go in - bad alignment ! This is bad because the Water Pump Pulley rubs
on the TB Cover and will score it as it did on the old one.

However - I could not get the screw started in the threads! There is no &#@&^ ^%@#(*@ Room to work there!
So I had to leave it out.... Merde!

Anyway - I know this is probably too late to be of any use to 'recce', but maybe someone
else can benefit from the photos.

Moral of this story - be very patient getting the Timing belt Cover on. I lost it on the last
tab...!

DoctorBill

Crvett69
05-15-2006, 01:27 AM
the timing belt cover you had may not have been cut off by old owner. i have seen many of the covers wear through right there from cover flexing or some of the bolts missing. it bends out and bottom pulley wears through it. i noticed on pic there looked like a bunch of shredded plastic is stuck on the aluminum next to bottom gear

carpenter_jai
05-15-2006, 01:39 AM
Bill,

My cover looks just like your old one, and I am sure nobody has modified it. Just worn out by those tabs breaking off, causing the belt to slice it apart, I'm guessing. I will follow your advice when I get a new one, and take my time putting it on. By the way, did you happen to note the order of nuts and washers that go on that screw that goes through the cover? Supposedly the one that goes into the tensioner? Hope that makes sense.

Jai

DOCTORBILL
05-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Not sure what you mean by noticing the "Order"...

When I took the Timing Belt off last summer to replace it, I observed the order of disassembly.

There are only two threaded things to worry about - the threaded "Post" that holds down the
tighening lever and the big bolt that the Tensioner Pulley is held down with.

You loosen both. Then once the new belt is on you allow the spring to pull the lever down and
then tighten the "post" down which secures the lever from moving.

Then you tighten the bolt holding the Tensioner Pully in place.

The tensioner Pulley is on an eccentric center allowing it to move right and left to tighten or loosen.

Yes?

Then the "Post" has the other end with a threaded rod that sticks out for the Timing Belt Cover
to be held on with. That requires a nut. The Timing Belt Cover has a metal sleeve in that center
hole.

All of this stuff is somewhat difficult to get at because the AC metal tube is right there beside
it and the Fender is about 8 inches away from it. It is easier to do if you jack the front end of
the vehicle up about a foot using that center jack point under the radiator.

You have to take off both the Water Pump Pulley and the Main Shaft pulley to remove the
Timing Belt Cover. The Hard Part is keeping both pulleys from turning as you loosen the bolts
holding them down....

Oh! AND - be sure not to allow the upper camshaft pully to rotate while placing the
new belt on, like I did! It rotates easily and then gets out of sync. Best to rotate the engine until
the marks line up....

DoctorBill

Crvett69
05-15-2006, 11:11 AM
before retightening the timing gear tensioner bolts turn the engine 2 turns clockwise, that will take any slack out of the non tensioner side of the belt. do not let engine turn back other direction. after you have rotated crank twice double check the timing marks, they should still line up. if you take the water pump pulley bolts loose before removing the belt its a lot easier

carpenter_jai
05-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Not sure what you mean by noticing the "Order"...

I should have been more clear. When I put things back together, I muffed the order of the sleeve(s) and the nut(s) that go onto the threaded post that goes through the timing cover. I've been driving around for 4 months with an anoying rattling while my car accelerates. What is that bolt for anyway?

Jai

DOCTORBILL
05-16-2006, 10:50 AM
I should have been more clear. When I put things back together, I muffed the order of the sleeve(s) and the nut(s) that go onto the threaded post that goes through the timing cover. I've been driving around for 4 months with an anoying rattling while my car accelerates. What is that bolt for anyway?

Jai

That double sided bolt with the Hex center is for tightening down the Tensioner Pulley tightening
lever
and
for holding in the CENTER of the Timing Belt Cover.

The TB Cover has a small sleeve in the center hole. The other end of that bolt goes thru that and is
tightened down with a nut.

The sleeve is so the Plastic TB Cover isn't squashed by the nut when it is tightened down on the
TB Cover.

See the photos of the TB Cover.

DoctorBill

SchlockRod
05-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Hey, thanks for all the good pictures & advice. I'm in the middle of putting a reman head on my '92 XFi.
My questions:
A) Anybody got another one of these timing belt covers in good shape? I'll buy it. Mine's all cracked up at the bolt hole ears. If I can't get a good one I may try to hold this one in place with RTV or other adhesive. Will that work?
B) Should I replace the tensioner while I'm in there? Someone here said that those get torn up if improperly tightened. I usually replace the tensioner when replacing serpentine belts because they wear out also. This car has 176,000 miles.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Crvett69
05-16-2006, 02:04 PM
i might have another cover kicking around, will look and let you know

sldiegel
01-28-2007, 06:16 PM
I have just replaced the water pump on my daughters 97 1.3L metro. The car ran before but now it will turn over but will not start. I was sure nothing moved but could I have screwed up the timing and if so how do I reset, What marks should align

Add your comment to this topic!