Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Newbie here w/questions on control arms!!

keller9431
02-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Great site here and I am glad I joined. I just bought my first Metro this weekend for a commuter car for work. I drive almost 100 miles a day round trip and needed something with good gas mileage. Anway, this Metro is a '97 2 door w/the 5 speed. My question is I went and had tires put on it and didnt really look at the front end when I bought it but now notice that the front ball joint are shot and know that they have to be replaced as an assembly with the control arm. Where in the world can I get a decent price on these things. Every auto parts store around me says its a dealer item. I called the dealer and they want $250.00/Each. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to get these cheaper? Sorry for the long post but any info would be great. Thanks,

Matt

TerminalVelocity
02-14-2006, 08:06 PM
try ebay (slim chance) or call dissmantlers to see if you can get them cheaper and used. Just needs to run right, not perfect IMO.

Good luck!

keller9431
02-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Car runs great and thats all I need but I just had brand new tires put on it and dont want them ruined that fast. The ball joints are pretty much shot. They have a lot of play in them so thats why I wanted to get new ones. I will look around. Thanks

Crvett69
02-15-2006, 09:24 PM
looks like the older ones are the same as the newer ones, call local parts store, i can get them from schucks for about $65 each so i know they are out there

keller9431
02-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Is Schucks a local auto parts store to you? Could you give me their # and I will call them and see if they would ship them to me. The cheapest I found was $200.00 for both shipped. Let me know!

geojim
02-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Best bet is go to e-bay and use the search keywords of Geo Metro. There is a guy there that sells new ones from Canada or overseas. They are good quality as I have one on my '93. Only other choice for a new one is a dealer for over $200. ea.

doug7x
02-20-2006, 01:25 AM
I got a set of lower control arms from e-bay. Be SURE that they will fit the 95 on up. these are a little (3/4") longer, & even though they look the same, they won't work. I guess the metro grew a little wider in '95, & not all the aftermarket guys didn't catch on. Good luck

keller9431
02-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys for all the replies. I just ordered new ones off of Ebay today from the guy in Canada. $196.00 shipped. Beats the stealership. Anyways I will let you guys know how they are when I get them.

Add your comment to this topic!