Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wheel came off

seb001
12-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Tonight, my wife was driving the car home (95, 1L) and the front driver side wheel "came off".
She lost control and ended up stranded on the side of the road. When I showed up, the wheel was sideways and I could see the rod (for lack of proper word) end that normally fits in the tranny was just lying there, still attached to the wheel.

The towing guy said it was the ball joint and fairly common on these cars as they rot/rust away.

Can I fix this? Any experience with this? The mechanics will call tomorrow with an estimate.

There goes the Xmas budget.

spy1309
12-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Yes you can fix it and is recomended to replace the entire cv joint to.
Is not a hard job to do anyways not in 10 degrees weather.

seb001
12-13-2005, 12:35 PM
Getting it fixed. 1000$ CDN,

Ball joints, CV boot, transmission seal, ...

Cheaper than a new used car.

Tominator2000
12-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Tonight, my wife was driving the car home (95, 1L) and the front driver side wheel "came off".
She lost control and ended up stranded on the side of the road. When I showed up, the wheel was sideways and I could see the rod (for lack of proper word) end that normally fits in the tranny was just lying there, still attached to the wheel.

The towing guy said it was the ball joint and fairly common on these cars as they rot/rust away.

Can I fix this? Any experience with this? The mechanics will call tomorrow with an estimate.

You will need to do BOTH sides. I'm pretty sure if you jack the car up the other ball joint is loose as well.
:rolleyes:

And I'd bet your tires are shot because of uneven wear....been there myself! :icon16:

DieInterim
12-13-2005, 08:45 PM

Holy crud! I am glad the wife is safe; it could have been a terrible event.

Be grateful,
Blake

Add your comment to this topic!