Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Geo Metro TPS specs ?

TransAmFan
04-01-2005, 11:01 PM
If anyone can help me with this problem I would greatly appreciate it.
I am trying to get a 1995 3 cylinder Geo metro to pass emissions. After a minor tune up and oil change it marginally failed hydro carbons. Of course I had a laundry list of sensor problems. With some new sensors and patience the only one left was a TPS error code. I followed the process to set the idle and that did not clear the TPS code. My Haynes manual states that terminals on the TPS should read;
A + D @ idle = 4.3-8.13 K ohms
A + C @ idle = 240 - 1140 ohms
A + C @ Full Open = 3.17-6.6 K ohms
A + B @ IDLE = Continuity
A + B @ <> IDLE = No Continuity

(#1 )The TPS on the metro had a part number 13420-50G00 or 198500 3090 and the physical stops were broken on it the reading were
A+D @ IDLE = 3.8 OHM
A+C = 50-2000 Ohms depending on position
A+C = No Continuity regardless of position

(#2)When I bypassed the physical stops to simulate how it was installed on the car the readings were;
A+D @ IDLE = no continuity
A+C @ No continutity regardless of position
A+B @ IDLE continutity @ <> IDLE = No Continuity

I got three similar TPS's from a junk yard and they had the same readings as #1. If I broke the mechanical stop and spun it around I got the same readings as my original #2. I went to a used parts dealer (guarenteed good) and their TPS's read the same as #1.

Using a used tps with readings #1 the hydrocarbons are through the roof and the service engine light does not come on.
With the broken TPS that someone bypassed the stops on #2 the Hydrocarbons marginally fail and the service engine light stays on.

With the number of same make / model geo's/swifts in the salvage yard with this TPS on it, I don't think I have the wrong TPS. Does this make / model of TPS have different specs than the haynes manual indicates or did I manage to find a cluster of 6 bad TPS's in the same geographic area with the same exact readings?

Thanks ahead of time for any insight. This part new is worth more than the car.

TransAmFan
04-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Ok I admit I am using the wrong information for my model of TPS does anyone have the correct information for the calibration / testing of the TPS with the number 13420-50G00 or 198500 3090. It appears that early 90's used a different proceedure than Mid 90's and late 90's don't need adjusted?

Repaair
09-25-2005, 03:50 AM
Can someone give me the feeler gauge measurements ( A,B,C,D ) from the Haynes manual for adjusting the TPS? Trying to do a late night repair.

Thanks

Repaair
09-25-2005, 03:55 AM
Sorry, car is a 91' Metro with auto transmission

spy1309
09-26-2005, 06:33 AM
89-92 automatic transmissions is same procedure with with 93 and later models 95-97 4 cyl models.
For adjustments you will need a 0.012inch(0.3mm)feeler gauge between throttle lever stop screw and throttle lever, loosen tps screws and movethe tps counterclockwise til you have a 0 ohm reading between terminals A and B.
After that tighten the tps screws.
Insert a 0.35inch(0.9mm)feeler gauge between throttle stop screw and throttle lever and make sure that you have no continuity between terminals A and B.

Repaair
09-27-2005, 11:52 PM
Thanks Spy, this is just what I was looking for!

Add your comment to this topic!