Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine wont ignite?

VegasPeanut
03-02-2005, 10:08 AM
ANy ideas on what to try? The last two days, it started if i left it sitting to cool off..... atleast a few hours -- but this morning, after sitting for the night, it still wouldnt start! :banghead:
It's 91 automatic...

I'm at a loss of what to even attempt fixing!?

I'd really appreciate ANY advice
Christy

BrokenBeetle66
03-02-2005, 10:30 PM
what does the car do? does the engine turn over? can you hear the engine turning, just your not getting any ignition from the cylinders?

I had this problem a few days ago (turn key, here the engine turning, but nada!). If this is the problem, check the rotor and distributor cap. If any of the contacts are corroded, the points in the cap arent making contact with the rotor...or the spark is jumping around in the cap and the right cylinders arent getting juice when they should be.

New cap and rotor = $20 at autozone. Also, get some liquid gasket maker (comes in a tube, about $3) and seal up the cap when you replace it. **Make sure you put the wires back in the right spots on the new cap!!**.
Good luck with that!
Keep Mettin' ~Rob

BrokenBeetle66
03-02-2005, 10:33 PM
real quick, almost forgot...you'll need a 8mm socket wrench to take off the distributor cap bolts...unless you're fortunate enough to NOT have the phillips head X strip out of the bolts heads. Dont worry about rusty bolts or whatnot, you get new ones with the new cap. Good luck!

VegasPeanut
03-03-2005, 10:30 AM
real quick, almost forgot...you'll need a 8mm socket wrench to take off the distributor cap bolts...unless you're fortunate enough to NOT have the phillips head X strip out of the bolts heads. Dont worry about rusty bolts or whatnot, you get new ones with the new cap. Good luck!

It was the starter after all -- thanks y'all!

Add your comment to this topic!