Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP:rear main seal

rokoco
02-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Can anyone give me a clue as to how tough it will be to replace the rear main seal in my '91 Metro Conv.? Like does the tranny need to come out with the engine? Anything else, tricks, etc. will be greatly appreciated!!!

Tominator2000
02-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Pull the motor without the tranny.

No need to remove the hood. Remove the alternator, starter, front pulley and just unbolt the complete intake manifold and tie it up out of the way. That saves you from rerouting all the hoses and wires. Remove bolts to exgaust and let it hang. You will remove various other sensor wires and hoses that are obvious.

Using an engine hoist to support the motor, remove the motor mounts and engine to tranny bolts. Remember to support the front of the transmission housing so it remains level.

Should take you 4 to 5 hours if you take time out for a beer or two. It is VERY important to start WITHOUT the beer beforehand and to regulate severly that intake of said beer until job is mostly finished. :loser:

geozukigti
02-05-2005, 07:14 PM
It'd be a LOT easier just to pull the trans. Support the motor, pull the trans, remove the clutch, and the seal is right there.

Tominator2000
02-05-2005, 09:53 PM
LOL! :lol: You indeed know a ton more than I do about these cars. :iceslolan

You did not include some steps though....Remove wheels, calipers and take off the axle hub nut. Can you then swing the strut and brake assembly out of the way to pull the axles? Some cars you can and others you cannot.

I, for one, am much more comfortable not messing with the suspension on an old car as seals, constant velocity joints and brake hardware tend not to go together as easy as they came apart without some replacement parts at hand. :uhoh:

After pulling the motor one time, bet I can do it in two hours or less now. :biggrin:

And THEN I can work on it on a engine stand! :evillol:

Easier on my back. :icon16:

Add your comment to this topic!