Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Motor swap issues

sofast
02-01-2005, 08:37 PM
I had a pefect running 90 metro with rusted subframe. And a 92 Metro with bad motor. I pulled the motor from the 90 and dropped it into the 92. Ran like shit at first. now i am getting spark intermitantly and fuel spray intermintantly. Tried the map sensors, coil, distributor, ecu, injector. TB, wires, igniter/amp. Also checked time. Good compression. what else is left? When it does start it runs like dog shit and will not run past 2000 rpms. Please advise Im about to shoot myself in the head.

geozukigti
02-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Problem #1. 2 different generation engines. Take the intake manifold and distributor off the mtor you took out, and put it on the one that you pulled from the 92'. That should do it. Different years have different electronics, and parts like the TPS and fuel injector, and cam sensor send/get and respond to different signals. So you have a 90' computer trying to operare a 92' electronics system.

sofast
02-02-2005, 07:04 AM
I got the same results from the 90 and 92 parts that I have switched and switched back. When switching from 92 to 90 parts I was sure to check the part #s on these components and they matched. The difference in years shouldnt be an issue as far as the parts I have replaced. The only thing different is the ECU. And still I get the same results with both ECUs

Crvett69
02-02-2005, 02:51 PM
check the ground wire from battery to body ground, its behind the overflow bottle. also make sure you have the ground wires bolted to intake manifold behind throttle body and that they are tight. if the 90 had a vacuum advance distributor and the 92 did not you will need to swap those

Add your comment to this topic!