Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trick to stabbing the engine?!

GeoMetron
01-31-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm trying and failing to stab my engine.

I've swapped out several Suzuki Samurai engines without anywhere near this much trouble. I've actually had to purchase another clutch disc because I mangled my other disc during several attemts to mate the engine to the transmission.

So, any tricks to this? Should the transmisssion be in neutral or not, for instance?

Thanks!

GeoMetron

geozukigti
02-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Stab your engine? Well, better get a diamond edged knife, and start workin out!! :smokin: Well, what i've always done, is make sure the splines are good on both the input shaft, and the clutch disc. before installing the clutch, take the disc, and slide it on the input shaft of the transmission. If it won't slide right on, you've got a problem. File the splines on the clutch disc until they fit on the input shaft effortlessly. I keep an old input shaft from a dead tranny handy just for this. because the input shaft is hardened steel, and the clutch spline is not, I can tap GENTLY on the clutch, until the input shaft forces into the splines on the clutch. This will not damage the splines, as long as you're not wailing on it. I also use the input shaft as a clutch alignment tool. You are using a clutch alignment tool to assemble the clutch, right?

GeoMetron
02-01-2005, 11:28 PM
I'm trying and failing to stab my engine.

I've swapped out several Suzuki Samurai engines without anywhere near this much trouble. I've actually had to purchase another clutch disc because I mangled my other disc during several attemts to mate the engine to the transmission.

So, any tricks to this? Should the transmisssion be in neutral or not, for instance?

Thanks!

GeoMetron

Yeah, I'm using an alignment tool.

I buggered the clutch disc on my initial attempts so I'm waiting for my shop to get another one. I also purchased some high temp grease to help persuade the mating.

geozukigti
02-02-2005, 01:56 PM
NO GREASE!! It'll get all over your clutch, and it'll be toast. Do as I said with sliding the clutch disc over the input shaft spline, to make sure they line up. Splines are machined. Grease or not, if the splines are damaged, they won't line up. If the splines are good, it'll slide on perfectly. Bone dry. NEVER use lubricants on anything anywhere near your clutch

GeoMetron
02-05-2005, 10:12 PM
I thought I'd let you know that I got the engine stabbed today. I didn't do anything radical....and no grease. I used the same clutch that I banged up a bit during earlier attempts. The only thing I did differently was going at it nice and slow, which was a trick since I was installing the engine without a hoist or anything.

Hard to believe these engines are light enough to install without a hoist.

I got just about everything hooked up and will get it ready to test start tomorrow.

Any good advice about a break-in period for JDM engines?

Thanks,

GeoMetron

NO GREASE!! It'll get all over your clutch, and it'll be toast. Do as I said with sliding the clutch disc over the input shaft spline, to make sure they line up. Splines are machined. Grease or not, if the splines are damaged, they won't line up. If the splines are good, it'll slide on perfectly. Bone dry. NEVER use lubricants on anything anywhere near your clutch

Add your comment to this topic!