Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

changing clutch, how hard? 3-cyl metro

lakini
12-03-2004, 08:09 PM
I was told today, that I don't have any adjustment left in my clutch.
The guy said I need a new clutch plate. My clutch lets out real high.
How much in parts, and how tough of a job for a limited skills mechanic?

thanks

SeanMurphy
12-04-2004, 12:29 AM
You have to drop the front sway bar, and remove the front axles from the transmission. remove the bolts mating the tranny to the engine, pull it away, and unbolt the pressure plate and clutch disk. you'll want to replace the pressure plate, clutch disk, and throwout bearing all at once to ensure you don't have to do it again. I did it with the help of a haynes manual in my back yard using nothing but hand tools, jack stands. and a friend to help me lower the tranny out of the way safely.

I got the parts at a local Chev dealer, they had the best price, and a chev dealer gives you 1 year warranty on parts, even if you install them yourself.

All I'd done prior to this was change oil and watch other people repair cars. It's not THAT hard, but plan on having the car laid up for a couple days. Additionnally, you'll want a clutch alignment tool to make sure the disk goes in straight. I borrowed one from a local Canadian Tire store for a refunded deposit of $40.

chembrad
02-14-2005, 02:53 PM
How many bolts and nuts mating the tranaxle to the engine?

I pulled off 4 but it still won't come away from the engine. I must have missed one as something is holding it up.

chembrad
02-14-2005, 08:11 PM
How many bolts and nuts mating the tranaxle to the engine?

I pulled off 4 but it still won't come away from the engine. I must have missed one as something is holding it up.

There was a thin plate at the lower passenger side of the transaxle that was held on by two 10 mm bolts. I had to remove this "flywheel view plate" in order to pull the transaxle case off.

Add your comment to this topic!