Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Metro Steering!

MetroN00b
11-23-2004, 03:53 PM
I was wondering about what you all think of the Metro's steering? I have a 95 and the freaking steering wheel could give me rope burn. Seems like everytime I make a turn at slow speeds (say after a stop sign) the thing WHIPS back around with a lot of pressure. Is that just because it's a tiny car or can I do something to make the steering smoother?

Crvett69
11-23-2004, 07:31 PM
is it power steering or manual?

Zogboy
11-23-2004, 08:01 PM
I took the pump off but left the power rack on the car and I am really happy with the feel now plus I gained a little extra power. I like the way the cad handles now, the response is great. It might be as good as my old Datsun 1600 roadster.

Zogboy
11-23-2004, 08:05 PM
PS Cap off the lines for future use and to keep the unit lubed.

I put a steering wheel cover on the wheel for a sure grip. :biggrin:

MetroN00b
11-23-2004, 11:02 PM
Lots of car repairing vets. I need to keep what lubed? I'm confused. Hopefully in the future the name will help people lay stuff out for me in a very newbie fashion. I'll reread some of the advice you all gave. Hmm....

Zogboy
11-24-2004, 06:37 AM
Sorry for the confusion about lube .
I was refering to the power steering lines that lead to the power steering rack on the metro.
I removed the power steering pump at the engine .
But I left the lines attached that lead to the steering ram. I simply put caps from wd-40 over the hoses and used good old duct tape to keep trash out of the lines. The fluid remaining in the lines should keep the power steering ram lubed so it don't cause problems in the future.
I hope this clears up the confussion.

geozukigti
11-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Well, there's a steering damper on your steering rack. Get under the car, locate a big rubber plug on the steering rack, and take it off. It's a cover. There's a plastic nut underneath. Loosen it, and the steering will be more free, but it'll spring back like a pissed off cat. Tighten it, and it will give it a more more controlled feel, but feel a little more stiff. Tighten it too much, and it won't return to center on it's own. But that's what you're lookin for.

Add your comment to this topic!