Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Metro Muffler (attn: Geozukigti)

ph03n1x
10-15-2004, 06:45 AM
Have a Metro, need to replace pipes on it. Geo, you said something about taking yours up to 2 inch pipes....what about backpressure? Sorry, gotta go to work. Kinda in a hurry. Thanks, talk more later.

ph03n1x

MatLax
10-15-2004, 03:40 PM
The metro doesn't need backpressure to run, like someone said in another thread, you could run without any pipes coming out of your motor as long as you stand the noise =P

And 2'' seems to be the best size for the 3 cyl.

ph03n1x
10-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Mine is a 4-cyl, and it may not need backpressure, it sure seems to bog down in the low end as it is. But then again, the noise does keep me from getting on it. Personally I'm with the 2" pipes. But I want the little Metro to do what it can to the best of it's ability. Lord knows that there enough other things that need to be done.

Anybody know of any parts suppliers for Metros? I'd like to dress it up a bit. All in all mine is a pretty good looking car for being as basic as it is. Does APC make replacement headlight housings and the like? Anyhow, I'm off to go catch a few well deserved Z's. I'll see you all in the morn'.

Night.

ph03n1x

geozukigti
10-16-2004, 01:00 PM
2" pipes are perfect for a metro. You'll lose a little bit in the low end, but you'll gain a ton in the mid to high end. If you wanna be loud, get a fart pipe. None of the "universal" replacment mufflers really fit properly. Mine had to be cut and welded in at an angle to fit. Looks like crap :( Maybe I'll bite the bullet and get a ricer pipe. But I don't want rice! heh.

ph03n1x
10-16-2004, 10:28 PM
When I talked to dude at the muffler shop he got all huffy when I said that I wanted to put 2" pipes on it. And I really don't want it to be loud. There are times when I have to do "stealth" driving. I don't mind so much when I'm stomping on the gas. But when I'm rolling with the lights off......

Now if I can just find a decently priced shop around here. The ones I've talked to so far want 200-260 just to do from the catalytic converter back.

So who wants to start with the "need-to-know" information? What can I put on this car to make it do what it can? I've only got 4-cylinders, but I've also got alot less weight. C'mon, help me go fast =)

geozukigti
10-17-2004, 12:56 PM
How much are they charging you for the muffler? an OEM muffler can cost upwards to $120 at some shops.

ph03n1x
10-20-2004, 10:10 AM
I think they said the muffler was in the $70 range. Now it looks like I need to add a catalytic conv. to my list. And if I'd doing that the I might as well see if I can find new headers. Crap. :(

But yea, I think they sid the muffler was, 69.99 or something.

ph03n1x

geozukigti
10-20-2004, 11:05 AM
You can find a universal cat at most automotive stores. They're usually between $50 and $100. Just get one with the same inlet and outlet OD as your piping is gonna be. Nobody really makes headers for a 4cylSOHC motor. Send me a pic of the exhaust side of the motor with the exhaust manifold off. I know where I can get some Calmini headers, but you might need a custom flange welded to them to get them to work on the SOHC engine.

ph03n1x
10-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Aaight, cool. I'll have to work on getting a camera into my hands, but once I do...

Staypuff
10-27-2004, 07:42 PM
what about a header for the 3 banger metro motor. i have looked a bit for one but the idea of just making my own till engine swap keeps coming back

Add your comment to this topic!