Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Import used engine or rebuild?

chembrad
09-29-2004, 08:52 PM
I have a '90 Geo Metro w/ AT that I had a '92 Suzuki G10 1.0L 3 cylinder put in. That lasted me about 80k miles and now my compression is shot.

So I can either drop in another used import or rebuild. I've done just about everything else on this car except engine work.

The last time I had a mechanic pop the engine in to the tune of about $1400...

This time I am going to do it myself and save some money.

I've seen some engines on eBay, but I haven't bought any yet.

Any help or advice that you guys can give me would be appreciated.

RossT
09-29-2004, 11:50 PM
I just got one of those used JDM engines on e-bay.

The engine delivered to my door was $490. Add another $100 for complete gasket kit and waterpump. I will do the swap this weekend and let you know how well it works out. This will be my first attemp, so I am a rookie at this too.

chembrad
09-30-2004, 02:34 AM
I saw a new water pump with gasket on ebay for <$30. Is that the one you got?

RossT
09-30-2004, 04:16 AM
Yep thats the one, I also got the same vendors (partsdinosaur) complete gasket set. It includes 1 cam seal, 2 crank seals, oil pump gasket, rear crank housing gasket, thermostat housing gasket, exhuast manifold gasket, TB intake gasket, back side of water pump coolant tube O ring, head gasket, valve guide seals.

I was not going to do the head gasket, but I have everything stripped down anyway, I might as well do the headgasket.

The company that I bought mine from had the best shipping rates. I was able to get it shipped to my door and not a business for $140. Enine was $350. Not bad.
I told them I had a 91, and they made sure that I got a 4 bolt crank engine that would best match my 91. The JDM engine is a 4 bolt crank from a 92. Some of the newer JDM have a 5 bolt crank.

They give you a long list of stuff that has to be done in order to have the 3 month warrantee go into affect.

This is my first engine swap, so I am going to take my time. I was able to lift the engine by myself!!!

Good luck.

I am taking lots of pictures!!

I did find another company that sold the same engine for $250 but they wanted twice as much to have it shipped to my door.

chembrad
09-30-2004, 02:16 PM
One thing you might want to do before installing your engine is replacing the lower engine oil seals. I found on both of my G10 engines (the original '90 and the '92 used import) that the lower oil seals leak.

I plan on doing at least that with any new/used engine I buy.

Are you going to rebuild your old engine so it is ready to swap out when needed? I am thinking that will be my next project.

RossT
09-30-2004, 10:23 PM
I am just replacing gaskets and seals that come in the complete gasket kit. That includes the oil seals.

chembrad
10-06-2004, 11:04 AM
How is your engine install project coming? Any problems?

lawbob81
10-08-2004, 09:15 AM
We bought a used Japanese import 1 liter EFI '94 engine in Riverside Calif for $280. Complete long block with all parts included except altenator. Engines in Japan are routinely swapped out after 40K miles due to tight emission controls in Japan and then shipped to the USA for sale. This is the second engine for our two GEO's, and they are working just fine. They're used, but seem to be a good bargain. Price is right. Make sure you put in a extra high grade clutch, as cheapies will going out after about 35K miles. Our excellant mechanic in TJ Mexico does the engine swap labor for $270 If anybody needs info, ask?

Add your comment to this topic!