Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What year is my new motor?

BDAPPLE
09-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Hey guys,
I'm new to the board. I didn't know there were so many Geo enthusiasts out there. That's cool though. I have a question I was hoping that someone could answer for me. I have a 94' Metro that dropped a valve. So, I'm replacing the motor. I bought one off Ebay that came from Japan. However, I can't get the 94's timing belt on the new motor. The cogs on the gears don't even match up with the belt. Are there any ID numbers on the block that state what year the new motor is? I would get the numbers off the old belt but I already threw it away. :banghead: That's the only thing holding me up right now.
Thanks,
Dan

RossT
09-27-2004, 11:57 PM
I just bought one of e-bay too!! I have heard about the timing belt
not fitting. You will have to use your cogs and pullys from the old engine.

Mine is a 4 bolt crank, and the engine that I got was also a 4 bolt crank.
I have not tried putting a new timing belt on, but it looks like it will fit without any problems. It it doesn't, I will use my old engines hardware.

Your problem might bee that you have a 5 bolt crank on your old engine and the new one is a 4 bolt crank. You will have to figure out which timing belt to use. The 4 bolet and 5 bolt use different size timing betlts (at least that is what I was told).

Also make sure you replace all the gaskets. I got a gasket ket of e-bay rather cheap.

mcalvo
09-28-2004, 09:26 AM
RossT:
That is a damn excelent idea and a "so easy" fix for the situation you had. Congrats! :cool:

MC
:cool:

Add your comment to this topic!