Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 prizm CV JOINT HELP PLEASE!

cpowers
04-07-2004, 06:06 PM
ok, so haynes manual sais pull
i pulled
i pulled untill the inner boot tore off
i cant get the inner part out of the transmission, how the F**** do i get it out, i tried take out the 5 or 6 bolts around that, and it moves maybe .5" but i still cant get the gdamn driveaxle out of the tranny

what am i doing wrong?!

Thanks
Chris

also, why the f can i not take of this rotor, i see no rear bolts, it should just slide off right? it is stuck as sh......

1995 geo tracker
04-07-2004, 08:33 PM
i always use a crowbar or a long screwdriver to get it to pop out , there is a lock ring on the end if the shaft that keeps it locked in , you don't have to take the rotor off to get the axel out just that big nut

cpowers
04-07-2004, 08:45 PM
the rotor was a seperate question all together, its warped to ... a high degree hehe

im just about to give up, and rebuild the current cv joints and see how long it last, i bought the car as a project car but i didnt research the specific problem enough, it had a mechanic quote that it needed cv joints, but alas, no way to remove them

is there a way i can look into the differential and take out that clip?
thanks
Chris

1995 geo tracker
04-07-2004, 10:01 PM
the rotor should come off with not to much of a problem , not sure about the prizms but i know on some cars that you have to have a slide hammer to get them off but i don't think a prizm is like that , since you are going to be putting a new rotor on just get a bigger hammer and knock it off , lol , as far as the axle goes , there is no way to get to the clip from inside the trans , just take a crowbar or something like that a slide it between the trans and the axle then with a little persuasion it should pop right out , besides you have to have the right tools to replace just the joint

CRXr8er
04-20-2004, 10:49 AM
i always used a big slap hammer when dealing with the axle you can rent them from any parts store. it has always worked for me!

erager
04-26-2004, 12:19 PM
What are you trying to do? If you are trying to remove the drive axle, just pry it away from the connection on the torque converter. E-mail me the details of your project and I'll try to help.

jerdognet
06-21-2005, 11:31 AM
I spent the better part of an afternoon trying to Haynes "just put a pry bar on the axel and pop it out". I put what I thought was an enormous amount of pressure on the axel (drivers side) trying to pop it out. It would not come. Is there some kind of puller or trick to getting this thing out. Also, is it normal for the axel to have some "wiggle" at the end of the axel that enters the transmission? A two foot pry bar wouldn't get it out.

It is a car!
06-22-2005, 08:02 AM
I feel your pain brother; both L & R shafts were replaced on my 90 Prizm last summer.
I know what you are going through- just relax, you will get it out- and the F... word wont help you any.

Prying, pulling, wiggling, will not work.

The most important tool you will need to separate the shaft from the trans for this specific case is a special high tech tool called:
the hammer !
the big hammer !!

Obviously you wont have enough room to hammer directly against the housing. so you will need something in between like a 2 x4 piece of lumber- a foot long or so.
and just hit away at the lumber and eventually when the shaft receives the right blow it will start moving.

May God the almighty help you !

Add your comment to this topic!